Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension is a 2011 American animated science fantasy action-adventure comedy-drama television film based on the American animated TV series Phineas and Ferb. The film premiered on August 5, 2011 in the United States. It was first announced by Jeff "Swampy" Marsh during a January 2010 interview with the Daily Telegraph. The events of the film take place during the third season of Phineas and Ferb. It is the first feature-length film of the Phineas and Ferb series, and the third animated Disney Channel Original Movie, following Kim Possible Movie: So the Drama and The Proud Family Movie.
|Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension|
|Based on||Phineas and Ferb|
by Dan Povenmire
Jeff "Swampy" Marsh
|Music by||Danny Jacob|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||78 minutes|
|Production company||Walt Disney Television Animation [a]|
|Release||August 5, 2011|
The film's premiere averaged 7.6 million viewers, making it one of the highest-rated animated programs on cable in more than three years. It later gained over 3 million viewers to become the second most watched animated basic cable telecast ever among kids 6–11 and teens 9–14, and cable's fifth highest viewership movie ever in total viewers. A standalone sequel, Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Candace Against the Universe, was released on August 28, 2020 on Disney+.
Phineas and Ferb start another summer day playing with Perry and are inspired by him to create an enormous shuttlecock to play platypult (platypus + catapult) badminton. Perry enters his secret lair and is warned by Major Monogram that he has had some close calls with the Flynn-Fletchers almost seeing him entering his lair. He reminds Perry that if his cover is blown, he will have to be relocated away from the Flynn-Fletchers, and also reveals that Perry has an auto-scan replication device in his hat, which he has used to scan and replicate all of Doofenshmirtz's "inators" to determine whether Doofenshmirtz is getting smarter.
Perry leaves his lair in a hovercraft, but accidentally collides with the boys' shuttlecock while both are in flight, sending them off course. Doofenshmirtz begins his plan with his "Other-Dimension-inator", intended to create portals to parallel dimensions, but it malfunctions and Phineas and Ferb later crash into it. Meanwhile, Candace, feeling that she is immature, decides to act more like an adult and use this mindset to bust the boys herself. However, she discovers that the boys' invention has disappeared and concludes the same "mysterious force" she believes keeps the boys from being busted is working against her now, and tries to find the source of it.
Unaware that Doofenshmirtz is evil, Phineas and Ferb assist him in repairing the machine and building a remote that allows them to use the portals. Perry arrives to stop Doofenshmirtz, but after seeing Phineas and Ferb there, he reverts to pet mode, not wanting to reveal his identity. Doofenshmirtz, Phineas, Ferb, and Perry travel to a parallel dimension, where an alternate version of Doofenshmirtz has successfully conquered the Tri-State Area with an army of robots and installed himself as dictator. Doofenshmirtz meets his counterpart, Doofenshmirtz-2, who has also converted Perry-2 into a Platyborg (platypus cyborg), who now serves as his second-in-command.
Recognizing Perry as a secret agent, Doofenshmirtz-2 forces Perry to reveal his secret identity by having Platyborg attack them, much to the boys' shock. They escape, but Phineas is angry with Perry for his deception. Doofenshmirtz-2 explains to Doofenshmirtz that he was driven to evil because he lost a toy train as a child, enraging Doofenshmirtz as he still has yet to accomplish anything, despite his own backstory being more tragic. The boys attempt to use the remote to return home but fails, prompting them to seek out their parallel-dimension selves, while Doofenshmirtz-2 plans to use another Other-Dimension-Inator reconstructed by Doofenshmirtz to invade the first Tri-State area and annex it into his regime.
The boys meet their counterparts, who have been oppressed under Doofenshmirtz-2's rule, and introduce them to the concept of summer. When Doofenshmirtz-2 makes a public announcement that he will spare Phineas and Ferb if Perry surrenders himself, Perry agrees to the deal, but not before being rejected by an angry Phineas. Doofenshmirtz-2 learns that the boys had made some modifications to the Other-Dimension-inator that helped it to function, leading him to renege on the deal. Phineas, Ferb, and their counterparts ask the alternate Isabella for help and find that she, as well as the alternate Baljeet and Buford, are part of an underground resistance organization led by the alternate Candace.
Baljeet-2 explains that it takes a large amount of energy to open against the flow of dimensions, but he is able to open a highly unstable portal backwards into the first dimension. Upon learning about Perry's capture, Phineas and Ferb decide to rescue Perry before they can leave. In the first dimension, Candace spots the portal and, believing it to be the "mysterious force", jumps through, causing it to collapse. The kids catch Candace up to speed and set off to rescue Perry, but are captured by Doofenshmirtz-2 and his forces. Perry distracts Doofenshmirtz-2 with a video call of Monogram in the shower, allowing the boys to escape through a tunnel. Platyborg attacks and damages one of the carts, slowing them down.
Unwilling to endanger her own brothers, Candace-2 escapes with Phineas-2 and Ferb-2, but abandons Phineas, Ferb, Candace, and Perry, who are subsequently captured by Doofenshmirtz-2. The boys refuse to fix the machine, but inadvertently remind Doofenshmirtz how they fixed the machine by removing the self-destruct button. After Doofenshmirtz powers up the machine, Doofenshmirtz-2 orders Phineas, Ferb, Candace, and Perry to be fed to a monster called a Goozim; when Doofenshmirtz annoys him again, Doofenshmirtz-2 orders his execution as well. Before the five can be eaten, Candace-2 rescues them and gives them the remote, allowing Phineas, Ferb, Candace, Perry, and Doofenshmirtz to escape, but Candace-2 herself is captured.
Doofenshmirtz-2 invades the first dimension with an army of robots. Having traveled through many dimensions, Phineas, Ferb, Candace, Perry, and Doofenshmirtz make their way back to the first dimension. Perry gives Phineas and Ferb the locket off his collar, which is a key that leads them to Perry's lair. Inside, they find out that Perry had scanned and replicated all their previous inventions. With the help of their friends, the children of Danville, and the O.W.C.A. agents, Phineas and Ferb use the inventions to fight Doofenshmirtz-2's robot invasion, while Candace-2 is freed from prison by Phineas-2, Ferb-2, and Jeremy-2. Phineas and Perry climb to the top of Doofenshmritz's building to shut down the invasion, while Perry defeats Platyborg by shoving his spiked tail into a power outlet, electrocuting him.
Phineas manages to destroy the satellite controlling the robots, disabling Doofenshmirtz-2's entire army. Candace, who has given up on adulting early after seeing the effects it has had on her alternate self, races to show the invasion to her parents in order to use the "mysterious force" to her advantage. Doofenshmirtz-2 tries to destroy Perry, Phineas and Ferb with a giant robot for foiling his invasion, but Doofenshmirtz arrives and gives Doofenshmirtz-2 his own toy train, resolving his counterpart's tragic backstory. Doofenshmirtz-2 stands down his invasion and destroys the remains of his robot army with a self-destruct button just in time for Candace to fail to bust her brothers, much to her joy.
Doofenshmirtz-2 is arrested when he returns home, and several residents from the other dimension arrive in the original dimension to thank their counterparts before returning. Platyborg's electrocution reverts him to his normal self, allowing Phineas-2 and Ferb-2 to take him home. Candace advises her counterpart to pursue a relationship with Jeremy-2 before she leaves. The kids learn that Perry will have to be relocated since his cover has been blown, but Carl proposes using Doofenshmirtz's Amnesia-inator to erase their memories so they can keep Perry. Phineas and Ferb say their goodbyes to Perry, and Isabella kisses Phineas just before their memories are erased. Later, Perry enters his lair and uploads photos of the events that happened that day.
- Vincent Martella as Phineas Flynn / Phineas-2
- Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Ferb Fletcher
- Danny Jacob as the singing voice of Ferb and Ferb-2
- Dee Bradley Baker as Perry the Platypus / Perry the Platyborg. Baker also voices Pinky the Chihuahua and the Goozim.
- Dan Povenmire as Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz / Doofenshmirtz-2. Povenmire also voices an allergy-affected Candace-2.
- Ashley Tisdale as Candace Flynn / Candace-2
- Jeff "Swampy" Marsh as Major Monogram / Monogram-2
- Tyler Alexander Mann as Carl
- Mitchel Musso as Jeremy Johnson / Jeremy-2
- Alyson Stoner as Isabella Garcia-Shapiro / Isabella-2
- Caroline Rhea as Linda Flynn-Fletcher / Linda-2
- Richard O'Brien as Lawrence Fletcher / Lawrence-2
- John Viener as Norm and the Normbots
- Kevin Michael Richardson as the Normbots' deep voice
- Kelly Hu as Stacy Hirano
- Maulik Pancholy as Baljeet Tijinder / Baljeet-2
- Bobby Gaylor as Buford Van Stomm / Buford-2
- Jack McBrayer as Irving Du Bois
- Jaret Reddick as Danny
- Carlos Alazraqui as Bobbi Fabulous
- Steve Zahn as Sherman "Swampy"
- Doris Roberts as Mrs. Thompson
- Slash as himself
- Loni Love as Carl's Saleswoman Disguise
- Ariel Winter as Gretchen-2
- Todd Stashwick as Mr. Johnson
Olivia Olson was set to appear as Vanessa Doofenshmirtz and Vanessa-2, but her scenes were cut from the film.
The soundtrack album for Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension, including eight songs heard in the film and 14 songs from the series, was released on August 4, 2011. Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash co-wrote and performed a song for the soundtrack titled "Kick It Up a Notch", while the song "I Walk Away", which is heard in the film, is not included in the soundtrack. A song cut from the film, "Mysterious Force", is included.
Original songs performed in the film include:
- "Everything's Better with Perry" – Robbie Wyckoff
- "Mysterious Force" – Ashley Tisdale
- "Brand New Best Friend" – Dan Povenmire
- "Summer (Where Do We Begin?)" – Vincent Martella
- "Brand New Reality" – Robbie Wyckoff
- "Robot Riot" – Jaret Reddick and Dan Povenmire
- "Takin' Care of Things" – Dan Povenmire and Danny Jacob
- "Kick It Up a Notch" – Vincent Martella, Dan Povenmire and Slash
Deleted scenes edit
The DVD release includes eight scenes that were completed but cut out due to timing issues. The deleted scenes include:
- "Mysterious Force": Extended scene and included a song that was also cut from the final movie.
- "Pretendy the Practicepus (Extended)": Extended scene where Doofenshmirtz practices his speech with a toy Perry. Vanessa also appears in this scene.
- "2nd Dimension Vanessa": Vanessa-2 argues with her father over him constantly banishing any boy that talks to her.
- "2nd Dimension Flyover": The main characters ride in a blimp to the doom temple.
- "News Report": A news report detailing the incoming Doofenshmirtz-2 invasion.
- "Perry's Lair (Extended)": Extended scene from when the boys find Perry's lair.
- "Kick It Up a Notch (Extended)": Extended version of the final fight scene.
- "Ending Scene (Extended)": Extended scene of the characters getting their memory wiped. Has a gag where they need to redo the memory wipe after they see Perry in his agent persona.
Disney Channel edit
The film premiered on August 5, 2011 in Canada and Hong Kong, on August 27, 2011 in Singapore, the Philippines, and Malaysia, on September 25, 2011 in India, on September 30, 2011 in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand, and on November 5, 2011 in South Africa.
Disney XD edit
Theatrical release edit
The film premiered in Spanish theatres on August 31, 2011.
Home media edit
The film was released on DVD on August 23, 2011. It includes eight deleted scenes, interactive menus with easter eggs, an "'Animation'" music video, a "Perry-oke" sing along feature, "Dr. D's Jukebox-inator", "Prance Askance Execution", and the episode "Attack of the 50 Foot Sister" with character and creator commentary. The digital copy also bundled includes the film and 8 digital music tracks. For a limited time, a free In-Pack Platypult Kit was included with the set. Toys R Us sells a version of the DVD with a bonus disc containing the season three episodes "Ask a Foolish Question" and "Misperceived Monotreme".
A change is made to the credits of the film: the full version of "Takin' Care of Things" is heard, replacing "Kick It Up a Notch", and instead of the background being black, it features a dark blue background with several triangles. This edit was also in the television premieres of the film in some countries. The film was released in the UK on March 5, 2012, with the same bonus features, as well as the bonus episode "Attack of the 50 Foot Sister". As of November 12, 2019, the film, along with the series, has been available to stream on Disney+ in its original broadcast version instead of the edited version on DVD.
Video games edit
Console game edit
A video game based on the film was released. In it, players assume the role of Phineas and Ferb alongside their second dimension selves, as well as Agent P and a character exclusive to the game, Agent T, as they travel through worlds. The characters use gadgets such as baseball launchers and Carbonators (soda blasters) to defeat enemies. Scenes from the movie are present in the game. The game was released on August 2, 2011 for PlayStation 3, Wii, PlayStation Portable, and Nintendo DS. The PS3 version also has four episodes of the show in Blu-ray format as a bonus feature.
Online game edit
A separate online game titled Phineas and Ferb The Movie Game: The Dimension of Doooom! was released when the website for Across the 2nd Dimension was launched. The game is similar to its predecessor, Transport-inators of Doooom!, of which it shares its name with. In the game, the player plays as Phineas, Ferb, Agent P, or Candace-2 (and after the game is beaten, Phineas-2 and Ferb-2 as well), while Isabella-2, Baljeet-2, and Doofenshmirtz-2 also appear. Most levels have fully-voiced cutscenes, however, they do not follow the storyline of the film.
Critical reception edit
Matt Blum of the Wired.com website claims that "this is truly an instant classic, right up there with some of the best cartoons ever made".
Los Angeles Times television critic Robert Lloyd enjoyed Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension as well, noting "a hint of emotional depth, regarding the love between animals and the people who live with them". Both reviewers highlighted the film's employment of adult-oriented humor that makes it equally enjoyable for viewers of all ages.
Noel Murray of The A.V. Club gave it a B+. Murray said that the action theme of the movie was a deviation of what the series does best, but that the movie still had enough to satisfy its fans, including a charming dialogue.
Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension averaged 7.6 million viewers, the film soared to become TV's #1 scripted telecast of 2011 to date among Kids 6–11 (3.4 million/13.8 rating), TV's #1 movie among 'Tweens' 9–14 (2.6 million/10.8 rating) and cable's #1 movie of the year in Total Viewers.
Moreover, the film ranked as cable's #1 animated telecast in more than 3 years among Kids 6–11 and 'Tweens' 9–14 (since 2/18/08 – "Fairly OddBaby" from The Fairly OddParents), and ranks #4 among all animated cable telecasts in the 'Tween' demo.
Box office edit
Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension was released theatrically in Spain, being the third Disney Channel series to be released in theaters after Hannah Montana and Lizzie McGuire. On its opening weekend, the film grossed $1,259,632 with an average of $4,467 from 282 theaters, earning the #4 spot in the country. The film lost 49% of its gross on its second weekend, earning $646,145. The movie has grossed $5,689,121 in Spain as of December 11.
Television follow-up edit
A 22-minute episode titled "Tales From the Resistance: Back to the 2nd Dimension" was produced for the fourth season of the television series. It aired in November 25, 2014 on Disney XD and January 9, 2015 on Disney Channel. Olivia Olson voices Vanessa-2 in the episode, while recurring guest star Allison Janney voices Charlene-2, the 'ex-wife' of Doofenshmirtz-2.
On April 11, 2019, it was announced that a standalone sequel titled Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Candace Against the Universe, would be released on Disney+ within a year of its launch. Most of the series' cast reprised their roles, with the exception of Thomas Sangster as Ferb, who was replaced by David Errigo Jr., who previously voiced the character in Milo Murphy's Law. It was released on August 28, 2020.
- megapizzamovies. "Phineas and Ferb The Movie – Across the 2nd Dimension – Official trailer (HD)". YouTube. Archived from the original on 2021-12-15. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- Weisman, Jon (2011-06-06). "'Phineas' to preem Aug. 5 on Disney Channel – Entertainment News, TV News, Media". Variety. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- interview video Daily Telegraph (UK)
- "Disney Channel's 'Phineas and Ferb' Movie Is Most-Watched Animated Basic Cable Telecast Ever with Kids 2–11 – Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. 2011-08-22. Archived from the original on 2011-09-10. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- "Phineas And Ferb: Across The Second Dimension (Walmart Exclusive), Walt Disney Records: Children's Music". Walmart.com. 2012-09-15. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- "Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension @ 8:00pm ET/PT". YouTube. Archived from the original on 2014-05-19. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
- "Phineas & Ferb The Movie: Across The 2nd Dimension - Disney Channel asia". YouTube. Archived from the original on 2014-05-19. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
- "Phineas and Ferb Across the 2nd Dimension - Promo 2". YouTube.
- "Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension - Exclusive Screening Disney Channel UK". YouTube. Archived from the original on 2021-12-15.
- "Official Trailer - Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension Disney XD UK". YouTube. Archived from the original on 2021-12-15.
- "Phineas And Ferb The Movie: Across The Second Dimension (Widescreen): TV Shows". Walmart.com. 2011-09-29. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- "Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved September 14, 2020.
- Review: Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension Is an Instant Classic
- TV review: 'Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension'
- Murray, Noel (28 September 2011). "Phineas And Ferb—The Movie: Across The 2nd Dimension / Adventure Time: My Two Favorite People". AVClub.com. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension" Averages 7.6 Million Total Viewers By Robert Seidman – August 6, 2011
- "Pay TV ratings: 26-30 September 2011". tvtonight.com.au. 6 October 2011.
- "BARB Top 10 26 September-2 October 2011". barb.co.uk.
- "National Top 30 August 1-7 2011" (PDF). numeris.ca.
- "Phineas And Ferb". Boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved 2012-11-28.
- "November 2014 Programming Highlights" (PDF). Disney XD Medianet. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 29, 2014. Retrieved October 29, 2014.