Phillipsburg School District
The Phillipsburg School District is a comprehensive public school district in Phillipsburg, in Warren County, New Jersey, United States. The district serves students in pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade from a population of 16,000 people and an area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2) in Phillipsburg and other neighboring communities along the Delaware River. The district is one of 31 Abbott districts statewide, which are now referred to as "SDA Districts" based on the requirement for the state to cover all costs for school building and renovation projects in these districts under the supervision of the New Jersey Schools Development Authority.
|Phillipsburg School District|
|445 Marshall Street|
Phillipsburg, NJ 08865
|Business administrator||Staci Horne|
|Affiliation(s)||Former Abbott district|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||3,008 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||B|
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "B", the second-lowest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
The district's high school serves students from the Town of Phillipsburg and from five sending communities at the secondary level: Alpha, Bloomsbury (in Hunterdon County), Greenwich Township, Lopatcong Township and Pohatcong Township, as part of sending/receiving relationships with the respective school districts.
- Early childhood
- Early Childhood Learning Center (Grades PreK-K; 501 students)
- Elementary schools
- Phillipsburg Primary School (1-2; consolidated from Barber with 216 and Freeman with 208)
- Phillipsburg Elementary School (3-5; consolidated from Andover with 259 and Green with 360)
- Middle school
- Phillipsburg Middle School (6-8; 548)
- High schools
- Phillipsburg High School (9-12; 1,631). The Phillipsburg High School Stateliners have an athletic rivalry with neighboring Easton, Pennsylvania's Easton Area High School, which celebrated its 100th anniversary game on Thanksgiving Day 2006. In 2009, the 1993 teams from the Easton P-Burg Game met again for the Gatorade REPLAY Game to resolve the game, which ended in a 7-7 tie, with more than 13,000 fans watching as Phillipsburg won by a score of 27-12.
- Gregory Troxell, Superintendent
- Staci Horne, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Phillipsburg School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- About PSD, Phillipsburg School District. Accessed June 1, 2016. "The district serves students from the Town of Phillipsburg and five sending communities at the secondary level: Alpha, Bloomsbury, Greenwich, Lopatcong and Pohatcong Townships."
- Abbott School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 15, 2016.
- About SDA Archived 2016-08-16 at the Wayback Machine, New Jersey Schools Development Authority. Accessed January 8, 2017.
- SDA Capital Program Archived 2016-11-09 at the Wayback Machine, New Jersey Schools Development Authority. Accessed January 8, 2017.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Phillipsburg High School 2016 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 13, 2017. "At the secondary level, the district serves not only students from the town of Phillipsburg which makes up 41% of the high school population, but also students from the surrounding boroughs of Alpha and Bloomsbury, as well as the townships of Greenwich, Lopatcong, and Pohatcong."
- Municipal Guide to Public School Districts, Warren County, New Jersey. Accessed June 1, 2016.
- School Data for the Phillipsburg School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Phillipsburg School District, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Early Childhood Learning Center, Phillipsburg School District. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Phillipsburg Primary School, Phillipsburg School District. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Phillipsburg Elementary School, Phillipsburg School District. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Phillipsburg Middle School, Phillipsburg School District. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Phillipsburg High School, Phillipsburg School District. Accessed April 13, 2017.
- Patrick, Dick. "High school rivals are like family", USA Today, September 21, 2005. Accessed August 17, 2012. "Phillipsburg (N.J.)-Easton (Pa.): The game, played on Thanksgiving morning at Lafayette College in Easton, will celebrate 100 years in 2006."
- Conover, Allan. "Phillipsburg beats Easton in Gatorade Replay football", Warren Reporter, April 29, 2009. Accessed August 17, 2012. "For almost three toasty hours earlier in the day, however, Wargo had been among the most prominent Phillipsburg football players in Lafayette College's Fisher Stadium and was a key performer in the Stateliners' 27-12 triumph over Easton as 13,350 sun-baked spectators looked on. Wargo, a tackle, was selected as the game's 'Outstanding Defensive Player,' an honor he never gave a thought to while helping the 'Exliners' win the rematch of the 1993 Thanksgiving Day battle which ended in a 7-7 stalemate."
- Central Office Administration and Staff Directory, Phillipsburg School District. Accessed January 14, 2018.
- New Jersey School Directory for Warren County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.