Philippine Cricket Association
Philippine Cricket Association (PCA), formerly the Philippines Cricket Association, is the official governing body of the sport of cricket in the Philippines. It is also responsible for its national team.
|Affiliation||International Cricket Council|
The PCA is Philippines's representative at the International Cricket Council and is an associate member and has been a member of that body since 2003. It is also a member of the East Asia-Pacific Cricket Council. The PCA is a member of the Philippine Olympic Committee since June 2018.
The history of cricket in the Philippines dates back as early as 1914 when the Nomads Sports Club was established where the sports was first played in the country.
The Philippine Cricket Association (PCA) itself was established by the 1970s. Prior to the 1997 Asian financial crisis, the PCA organized a stable cricket league which is composed of mostly expatriate members.
In 2000, there were only two regular clubs in the PCA-organized league. Cricketers in the league at that time are mostly expatriates coming from Australia, Britain, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa and Zimbabwe while some are foreigners with Filipino heritage.
In 2014, the PCA organized the first official cricket match where one side is mostly composed of local Filipinos. The Philippine Developmental Team augmented by three members of the all-expatriate national team won over the Manila 'Roos, which was composed of Australian expatriate cricketers.
As of May 2018, the PCA was seeking for status as the National Sports Association (NSA) for cricket in the Philippines. It organizes a 24-team men's league, a 4-team women's league and an under-19 competition as of that time. Efforts to gain NSA status ended in June 2018, when the PCA was recognized by the Philippine Olympic Committee as its member.
The PCA is promoting cricket in the country by introducing the sport in schools as well as bringing in foreign-based Filipino cricketers abroad.
- Fernandez, Rhoel (3 February 2014). "Rise of Azkals, football offers unique blueprint as growth of PH cricket pushed". Sport Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- "Ireland and Afghanistan ICC newest full members amid wide-ranging governance reform". International Cricket Council. 22 June 2017. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "Philippines Cricket Association". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 29 July 2017.
- Munro, Tony (7 February 2000). "Cricket in the Philippines". ESPN Cric Info. ESPN Sports Media Ltd. Retrieved 29 July 2017.
- "ICC East Asia-Pacific Development Program - Research Results 2000-2003" (PDF). International Cricket Council. International Cricket Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 March 2007.
- Guerrero, Bob (12 May 2018). "Cricket, anyone? Philippines to host World Cup qualifier". Rappler. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- Atencio, Peter (July 24, 2018). "POC accredits cricket, sambo". Manila Standard. Retrieved July 24, 2018.