Philippe Flajolet, in 2006, at the Analysis of Algorithms international conference
|Died||22 March 2011 (aged 62)|
|Alma mater||Paris-Sud 11 University|
University Paris Diderot
|Awards||Knight of the Légion d'honneur |
CNRS Silver Medal
Doctor honoris causa from Université libre de Bruxelles
|Fields||Mathematics, Computer Science|
University of Paris
|Doctoral advisor||Maurice Nivat|
|Doctoral students||Paul Zimmermann|
A former student of École Polytechnique, Philippe Flajolet received his PhD in computer science from University Paris Diderot in 1973 and state doctorate from Paris-Sud 11 University in 1979. Most of Philippe Flajolet's research work was dedicated towards general methods for analyzing the computational complexity of algorithms, including the theory of average-case complexity. He introduced the theory of analytic combinatorics. With Robert Sedgewick of Princeton University, he wrote the first book-length treatment of the topic, the 2009 book entitled Analytic Combinatorics.
A summary of his research up to 1998 can be found in the article "Philippe Flajolet's research in Combinatorics and Analysis of Algorithms" by H. Prodinger and W. Szpankowski, Algorithmica 22 (1998), 366-387.
- with Robert Sedgewick: An Introduction to the Analysis of Algorithms. 2nd edition, Addison-Wesley, Boston, Mass. 1995, ISBN 0-201-40009-X
- with Robert Sedgewick: Analytic Combinatorics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2009, ISBN 978-0-521-89806-5
- Random tree models in the analysis of algorithms. INRIA, Rocquencourt 1987 (Rapports de recherche; Vol. 729)
- with Andrew Odlyzko: Singularity analysis of generating functions. University Press, Stanford, Calif. 1988
- "Philippe Flajolet : Algorithmix nous a quittés !" [Philippe Flajolet : Algorithmix has departed this world !]. INRIA Alumni (in French). 23 March 2011. Archived from the original on 18 May 2011.
- Philippe Flajolet and J.S. Vitter. Average-case analysis of algorithms and data structures. Technical report, Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, August 1987.
- Salvatore Sanfilippo (1 April 2014). "Redis new data structure: the HyperLogLog". Antirez weblog. Archived from the original on 7 August 2014.
- Philippe Flajolet's Home Page
- Philippe Flajolet and Analytic Combinatorics, Conference in the memory of Philippe Flajolet
- Luc Devroye, Philippe Flajolet, 1 December 1948 – 22 March 2011
- Philippe Flajolet: Philippe Flajolet, On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences
|This article about a French computer specialist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|