August 17, 1956|
|Institution||Harvard University, London School of Economics, Paris School of Economics|
|Field||New Dynamics, Endogenous growth theory, Econometrics, Macroeconomics|
Harvard University (Ph.D., 1987)|
École Normale Supérieure de Cachan (E.N.S., 1976)
University of Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne (DEA, 1981)
Yves Balasko (Ph.D., 1983)|
Jerry R. Green (Ph.D., 1987)
Yrjö Jahnsson Award (2001)John von Neumann Award (2009)
Early life and educationEdit
Aghion is a graduate of the École Normale Supérieure de Cachan (ENS Cachan, Mathematics Section), has a Diplôme d'études approfondies (DEA) in Mathematical Economics from University of Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne, and a Ph.D. from Harvard University (1987).
He is Robert C. Waggoner Professor of Economics at Harvard University, Professor of Economics at London School of Economics, and an invited professor at the Paris School of Economics, having previously been Professor at University College London, an Official Fellow at Nuffield College, Oxford, and an Assistant Professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
His main research work is on growth and contract theory. With Peter Howitt, he developed the so-called "Schumpeterian paradigm", and extended the paradigm in several directions; much of the resulting work is summarised in his joint book with Howitt entitled Endogenous Growth Theory.
Aghion was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2009 and he is a member of the Executive and Supervisory Committee (ESC)] of CERGE-EI. He also serves on the Scientific Advisory Board of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
In 2016, Aghion was appointed by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to an expert group advising the High-Level Commission on Health Employment and Economic Growth, which was co-chaired by presidents François Hollande of France and Jacob Zuma of South Africa.
- Aghion, Philippe; Howitt, Peter (1998). Endogenous growth theory. Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press. ISBN 9780262011662.
- Aghion, Philippe; Durlauf, Steven N. (2005). Handbook of economic growth. 1A. Amsterdam: Elsevier. ISBN 9780444520418.
- Aghion, Philippe; Durlauf, Steven N. (2005). Handbook of economic growth. 1B. Amsterdam: Elsevier. ISBN 9780444520432.
- Aghion, Philippe et Banerjee, Abhijit Volatility And Growth. Oxford University Press, 2005 (See dedication: « To our parents Gaby and Raymond Aghion… »).
- Then And Now. Gaby Aghion founder and Clare Waight Keller designer of Chloe SA. By Diderich, Joelle. WWD, September 28, 2012.
- Aghion, Philippe; Howitt, Peter (1992). "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction". Econometrica. 60 (2): 323–351. doi:10.2307/2951599. JSTOR 2951599.
- Aghion, Philippe (2001). "Schumpeterian growth theory and the dynamics of income inequality". Econometrica. 70 (3): 855–882. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.592.1282. doi:10.1111/1468-0262.00312.
- Endogenous Growth Theory. By Philippe Aghion and Peter W. Howitt
- "British Academy Fellowship reaches 1,000 as 42 new UK Fellows are welcomed". 16 Jul 2015.
- "Book of Members, 1780–2010: Chapter A" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
- High-Level Commission on Health Employment and Economic Growth – Expert Group World Health Organization.