Charles Philip Latham (17 January 1929 – 20 June 2020) was a British television actor.
Charles Philip Latham
17 January 1929
|Died||20 June 2020 (aged 91)|
In the late 1960s/early 1970s he was well known to British TV viewers for his portrayal of chief accountant Willy Izard, the "conscience" to hard-nosed oil company industrialist Brian Stead (played by Geoffrey Keen) in the BBC series The Troubleshooters (1965–72). Other credits Jesus of Nazareth (1956), Paul of Tarsus, Danger Man (1960–1962), Maigret, The Treasure Seekers, The Avengers, Love Story, Undermind, UFO, The Saint, Sergeant Cork, Justice, The Cedar Tree, Killers, Hammer House of Horror, The Professionals, No. 10, and Nanny.
One of his horror film roles was as Dracula's sinister servant Klove in Hammer's 1966 film Dracula, Prince of Darkness, and he had previously worked for Hammer in The Devil-Ship Pirates and The Secret of Blood Island (both 1964). His other film roles included appearances in Ring of Spies (1964), Spy Story (1976) and Force 10 from Navarone (1978). On television he played the joint-lead role of Plantagenet Palliser (opposite Susan Hampshire) in the 26-part BBC series The Pallisers. He also played Lord President Borusa in the 1983 20th anniversary episode of Doctor Who, The Five Doctors.
|1955||The Dam Busters||Flight Sergeant||Uncredited|
|1959||Left Right and Centre||Reporter||Uncredited|
|1959||Emergency Ward 10||RSO Barnett||10 episodes|
|The Moonstone||Dr. Ezra Jennings||Episode: Episode 1.6|
|The Army Game||Major Price||Episode: The Bisley Court Martial|
|The Flying Doctor||Lou Vernon||Episode: Death in the Clouds|
|Dial 999||Dave Saunders||Episode: Robbery with Violence|
|1960||The Adventures of Robin Hood||Father Ignatius||Episode: A Bushel of Apples|
|Danger Man||Frank Delroy||Episode: View from the Villa|
|Paul of Tarsus||Luke, the story-teller||10 episodes|
|1962||Masters of Venus||Doctor Wilson|
|Locker Sixty-Nine||Dr. Trent||Edgar Wallace Mysteries|
|The Wild and the Willing||Don||Uncredited|
|Maigret||James||Episode: The Wedding Guest|
|Harpers West One||Oliver Backhouse||14 episodes|
|1963-1966||The Avengers||Professor Cartright/Carter||2 episodes|
|1963||Suspense||George Boulter||Episode: Deferred Terms|
|Richard the Lionheart||Brian McFergus||Episode: The Raiders|
|Moonstrike||Major Kurt Koenig||Episode: The Canary|
|The Scales of Justice||Official Receiver||Episode: The Invisible Asset|
|1963-1964||The Saint||Arthur Ellshaw/Long Harry Garrett||2 episodes|
|1964||Ring of Spies||Captain Ray|
|The Devil-Ship Pirates||Miller|
|The Human Jungle||Cooper||Episode: Success Machine|
|The Plane Makers||Eric Styles||Episode: A Lesson for Corbett|
|Thursday Theatre||Philip Mortimer||Episode: Murder Mistaken|
|1965||R3||Colonel Gold||Episode: The Critical Moment|
|Z Cars||Martin||Episode: Brotherly Love|
|Public Eye||Alec Maxwell||Episode: They Go Off in the End, Like Fruit|
|Dr. Finlay's Cookbook||Robert Lennox||Episode: Soon or Late|
|The Secret of Blood Island||Captain Drake|
|Story Parade||John Coppard||Episode: The Campaign|
|Front Page Story||Gerald McPherson||Episode: Stateless|
|Undermind||Edmonds||Episode: Puppets of Evil|
|No Hiding Place||Michael Thompson||Episode: Danger: Wrong Turning|
|1965-72||The Troubleshooters||Willy Izzard||110 episodes|
|1966||Dracula: Prince of Darkness||Klove|
|1968||Middlemarch||The Rev. Mr Casaubon||5 episodes|
|1970||The Last Grenade||Adams||Uncredited|
|1974||The Pallisers||Plantagenet||26 episodes|
|1976||Spy Story||Ferdy Foxwell|
|1976-78||The Cedar Tree||Arthur Bourne||75 episodes|
|1978||Force 10 from Navarone||Commander Jensen|
|1981||From a Far Country||Chaplain|
|1983||Number 10||Charles Arbuthnot||Miniseries|
|Doctor Who||Borusa||Episode: The Five Doctors|
|1984||Jackanory Playhouse||King||Episode: Rolf the Stonemason|
- "Philip Latham..." Archived from the original on 22 June 2015. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- Registered in the Rochford District of Essex according to the GRO Index
- "Philip Latham".
- http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/242684/latham Telegraph Deaths Announcements: LATHAM, Charles Philip
- Obituaries, Telegraph (9 September 2020). "Philip Latham, actor who played the dry aristocrat Plantagenet in the BBC's the Pallisers – obituary". The Daily Telegraph. London.
- "Philip Latham (1929- 2020)". 10 July 2020.
- "Theatre/Music/Art/Broadcasting - Felsted School". Archived from the original on 6 July 2017. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- "STUDENT & GRADUATE PROFILES: Philip Latham".rada.ac.uk. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "BFI Screenonline: Mogul/Troubleshooters, The (1965-72)".
- "Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966) - Terence Fisher - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie".
- "Philip Latham - Movies and Filmography - AllMovie".
- O'Donovan, Gerard (5 May 2014). "Why can't we make drama like The Pallisers anymore?".
- "Philip Latham".
- TV.com. "Philip Latham".