Philip David Gosselin (born October 3, 1988), is an American professional baseball utility infielder for the Philadelphia Phillies of Major League Baseball (MLB). The Atlanta Braves selected Gosselin in the fifth round of the 2010 Major League Baseball draft. He made his MLB debut in 2013. Gosselin has also played for the Arizona Diamondbacks, Cincinnati Reds, Pittsburgh Pirates, and Texas Rangers.
Gosselin with the Arizona Diamondbacks
|Second baseman / Third baseman|
|Born: October 3, 1988|
West Chester, Pennsylvania
|August 16, 2013, for the Atlanta Braves|
|MLB statistics |
(through May 4, 2019)
|Runs batted in||41|
He then attended the University of Virginia, where he played college baseball for the Virginia Cavaliers. As a junior in 2009 he set a university record for hits in a season (100) while batting .382 (mostly as the leadoff hitter) as he earned First-Team All-ACC and Third-Team All-America honors. He ranks 6th in Virginia history in career doubles (50), and 10th in RBIs (145) and total bases (345).
He was called up to the majors for the first time on August 16, 2013. He debuted the same day, in the tenth inning of a game against the Washington Nationals. He was outrighted off the Braves roster on November 5, 2013.
Gosselin was called back up by the Braves on July 13, 2014, when Dan Uggla was suspended by the team for one day. Gosselin was again recalled by the Braves on July 26 after Uggla was released. On August 15, Gosselin hit his first MLB home run, against the Oakland Athletics. He batted .266/.304/.320 in 378 at bats for the Atlanta Braves in 128 at bats. In the minors, as he batted .344 (second in the International League)/.379/.487 with 5 triples (tied for 7th in the league) for the Gwinnett Braves, he was named a 2014 International League mid-season and post-season All Star, and Player of the Week on July 14.
He made the Braves' Opening Day roster in 2015, and batted .325/.357/.425 in 40 at bats over 20 games before fracturing his left thumb against the Miami Marlins on May 17 while diving for a ground ball. The injury required surgery, and Gosselin missed eight weeks of the season.
On September 29, Gosselin recorded his first career walk-off hit with a bases-loaded RBI single against the Colorado Rockies. This gave the Diamondbacks a 4-3 win in 11 innings. In 2015 with Arizona he batted .303/.382/.545 with 3 home runs and 13 RBIs in 66 at bats.
On February 10, 2017, Gosselin was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates for minor league pitcher Frank Duncan, but only had 40 at bats for the team. With the AAA Indianapolis Indians, he batted .266/.304/.336 in 241 at bats.
Return to AtlantaEdit
The Atlanta Braves claimed Gosselin off waivers on May 3, 2018. The Braves designated Gosselin for assignment on June 25, subsequently outrighting him to the Triple-A Gwinnett Stripers, with whom he batted .251/.319/.384 in 279 at bats. He declared free agency on October 9.
In the major leagues, through 2018 he had played 97 games at second base, 37 games at third base, 11 games at shortstop, 8 games at first base, and eight games in the outfield.
- Phillies will give versatile Malvern Prep grad Phil Gosselin a look, among others | Sports | delcotimes.com
- Before He Played for Pay . . . Phil Gosselin
- Malvern Prep | Phil Gosselin '07 Strives for a Spot with Phillies
- Bowman, Mark (September 1, 2014). "Gosselin's Philly ties now include being no-hit". MLB.com. Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- UVA's Arico and Gosselin Sign Pro Contracts, Forego Senior Seasons at Virginia - WVIR NBC29 Charlottesville News, Sports, and Weather
- Phil Gosselin Stats, Fantasy & News | MLB.com
- Former Cavalier Phil Gosselin Called Up by Atlanta Braves - University of Virginia Athletics
- "Fifth-round pick forever linked to Strasburg". Mlb.mlb.com. 2010-06-09. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- Associated Press (2013-08-17). "Braves 2B Tyler Pastornicky out for season after tearing up knee in collision with teammate". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- "Gosselin Gets the Call from Braves". Newsplex.com. 2013-08-16. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- "Justin Upton's walk-off HR helps Braves continue dominance of Nats". Associated Press. Scores.espn.go.com. 2013-08-16. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- "Atlanta Braves - TeamReport". Global Post. November 12, 2013. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Bowman, Mark; Jackson, John (July 13, 2014). "Braves suspend Uggla one game, add Gosselin". MLB.com. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Braves suspend 2B Dan Uggla for 1 game". ESPN.com. Associated Press. July 13, 2014. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Morgan, Joe (July 26, 2014). "Pastornicky optioned, Gosselin returns to aid bench". MLB.com. Retrieved August 17, 2014.
- Cooper, Jon (August 16, 2014). "Gosselin steps in for Simmons, hits first homer". MLB.com. Retrieved August 17, 2014.
- Philip Gosselin Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
- Phil Gosselin Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
- 2014 International League Batting Leaders | Baseball-Reference.com
- ‘Freight Train’ David Peralta gaining admirers
- "Phil Gosselin to Undergo Surgery on Left Thumb". MLB.com. May 18, 2015. Retrieved May 19, 2015.
- Atlanta Braves IF Phil Gosselin has surgery on fractured thumb
- "Diamondbacks send Bronson Arroyo, Touki Toussaint to Braves". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 21, 2015. Retrieved November 4, 2015.
- Romero, Jose M. "D-backs: Gosselin hits walk-off single in 11th". Associated Press. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- Thornburg, Chad (February 7, 2017). "D-backs sign infielder Descalso". MLB.com. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- "D-backs acquire Frank Duncan from Pirates for Phil Gosselin". MLB.com. February 10, 2017. Retrieved February 10, 2017.
- Nesbitt, Stephen J. (August 12, 2017). "Rangers claim infielder Phil Gosselin on waivers from Pirates". Pittsburgh Post=Gazette. Retrieved November 22, 2017.
- "Reds' Phil Gosselin: Secures Opening Day roster spot". CBSSports.com. Retrieved March 25, 2018.
- Ladson, Bill (May 3, 2018). "Braves nab Gosselin off waivers from Reds". MLB.com. Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- O'Brien, David (May 3, 2018). "Braves claim Gosselin off waivers". Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- Byrne, Connor (June 24, 2018). "Braves Place Arodys Vizcaino On DL, Select Evan Phillips, DFA Phil Gosselin". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- Philip Gosselin Minor Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com
- Adams, Steve (December 18, 2018). "Phillies Agree To Minor League Deal With Phil Gosselin". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- "Phillies' Phil Gosselin: Summoned to majors". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2019-04-17.