Petra Roth (born 9 May 1944 in Bremen) is a German politician of the Christian Democratic Union (CDU). She was the mayor of Frankfurt am Main from 1995 to 2012. In addition she twice served as president of the Deutscher Städtetag, resuming her previous post there in 2009. The group is the head organization and lobby group for all German cities vis-à-vis the Cabinet of Germany, the German Bundestag, the Bundesrat of Germany, the European Union (EU) and many organizations.
Petra Roth is descended from a Bremen-based family of merchants. After she left the Kippenberg-Gymnasium, which has a special concentration in music, with a General Certificate of Secondary Education, she completed an apprenticeship as a medical secretary. Later she passed her exam at an upper business school. Love led her from Bremen to Frankfurt am Main. She is described as interested in the arts. She has two sons and has been widowed since 1994.
Petra Roth joined the Christian Democratic Union in 1972 after she had moved to Frankfurt. Later she was elected to the local city council and between 1987 and 1995, to the Landtag of Hesse. Between 1992 and 1995 she was chair of the CDU in Frankfurt.
Mayor of Frankfurt, 1995−2012Edit
On 25 June 1995, Roth was elected mayor of Frankfurt, defeating the incumbent Andreas von Schoeler and becoming the city's first directly elected woman mayor.
From 1997 to 1999 and from 2003 to 2005, Roth served as president of Deutscher Städtetag, a position she took up again in 2009. She was also member of the Committee of the Regions of European Union.
During her time in office, Roth was a member of the board of Frankfurt International Airport Fraport, chairman of the supervisory boards of the Frankfurt trade fair Messe Frankfurt, of the municipal utility company Stadtwerke Frankfurt am Main, of the regional transport services company Rhein-Main-Verkehrsverbund, and the regional housing society ABG Frankfurt Holding.
Within the CDU, Roth is considered a proponent of religious tolerance and a moderate stance regarding topics such as building of mosques in Germany, migration and integration, as well as drug treatment policy.
- AXA Konzern AG, Member of the Supervisory Board (since 2012)
- Deutsche Vermögensberatung (DVAG), Member of the Advisory Board
- Thüga, Member of the Supervisory Board
- Helaba, Ex-Officio Member of the Supervisory Board (-2012)
- Commerzbank Foundation, Member of the Board of Trustees
- Hertie-Stiftung, Member of the Board of Trustees (since 2012)
- Jewish Museum Frankfurt, Member of the Board of Trustees
- Max Planck Institute for European Legal History, Member of the Board of Trustees (since 2011)
- Senckenberg Nature Research Society, Member of the Board of Trustees
- BHF Bank Foundation, Member of the Board of Trustees
- 2005 – Honorary doctorate from Tel Aviv University
- 2010 – Honorary doctorate from the Sookmyung Women's University
- Die Oberbürgermeisterin (German) Source: frankfurt.de
- German municipalities struggle with record deficits (English) Source: dw-world.de
- Petra Roth als Ministerpräsidentin im Gespräch (German) Source: focus.de
- Neue deutsche Delegation im Ausschuss der Regionen Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine (German) Source: cor.europa.eu
- Members of Supervisory board of Frankfurt fair Messe Frankfurt Archived 2010-02-25 at the Wayback Machine (English) Source: messefrankfurt.com
- Members of Supervisory Board (German) Source: stadtwerke-frankfurt.de
- OB Petra Roth sagt Ja zur Moschee (German) Source: fr-online.de
- Ich vertraue den Grünen (German) Source: taz.de
- Christian Rothenberg (December 5, 2018), So groß sind die Lager der Unterstützer für Merz, Spahn und Kramp-Karrenbauer Handelsblatt.
- Petra Roth rückt in den Axa-Aufsichtsrat auf Handelsblatt, June 4, 2012.
- Tobias Romberg (May 19, 2011), Ritter der Schwafelrunde Die Zeit.
- Advisory Board Deutsche Vermögensberatung (DVAG).
- Supervisory Board Thüga.
- 2012 Annual Report Helaba.
- Board of Trustees Commerzbank Foundation.
- Board of Trustees Hertie-Stiftung.
- Board of Trustees Jewish Museum Frankfurt.
- Kuratorium und Fachbeirat haben sich konstituiert Max Planck Institute for European Legal History, press release of April 11, 2011.
- Board of Trustees Senckenberg Nature Research Society.
- Board of Trustees BHF Bank Foundation.
- Carsten Germis (September 9, 2010), Frankfurts Stadtoberhaupt in Asien: „Wow, die ist echt knallhart“ Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.
- Julius-Campe-Preis 2018 für Christian Petzold Hoffmann & Campe, press release of October 12, 2018.
- Claus-Jürgen Göpfert (June 9, 2017), Petra Roth wird Ehrenbürgerin Frankfurter Rundschau.