Petersburg Borough, Alaska
Petersburg Borough is a borough in the U.S. state of Alaska. According to Census Bureau estimates, the population was 3,266 in 2019. The borough seat is Petersburg. Petersburg is the most recently created county equivalent in the United States.
Location within the U.S. state of Alaska
Alaska's location within the U.S.
|Incorporated||January 3, 2013|
|• Total||3,829 sq mi (9,920 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1.00/sq mi (0.38/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−9 (Alaska)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−8 (ADT)|
When the borough incorporated in 2013, it took area from the Hoonah-Angoon Census Area and the former Petersburg Census Area. The remaining portion of Petersburg Census Area (including Kake) was added to Prince of Wales-Hyder Census Area. Petersburg Census Area was created in 2008 from the remaining portion of Wrangell-Petersburg Census Area upon the incorporation of the City and Borough of Wrangell.
Located in central Southeast Alaska, the Petersburg Borough encompasses approximately 3,829 square miles (2,921 square miles of land, 908 square miles of water).
Adjacent boroughs and census areaEdit
- "Vote certified, Petersburg Borough formation complete". KTOO. January 4, 2013. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2018". Archived from the original on February 13, 2020. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved June 7, 2011.
- "Substantial Changes to Counties and County Equivalent Entities: 1970-Present". United States Census Bureau.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Petersburg Borough, Alaska, U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Wrangell City and Borough
- Juneau Empire, 28 October 2012, Juneau appeals Petersburg Borough boundary approval – Includes map.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Petersburg Borough, Alaska.|
- Official website
- Petersburg Chamber of Commerce 
- Petersburg Public Access Atlas (Alaska DNR)
- Map of the former census area