Peterborough Speedway is a 1/3 mile semi-banked short track motor racing oval, located west of the city of Peterborough, in Cavan, Ontario, Canada. The Speedway’s weekly Saturday night racing program runs from May to October each year, featuring Bone Stocks, Mini Stocks, Renegade Trucks, Legends, Super Stock and Late Models. The track regularly features touring series including the APC United Late Model Series, OSCAAR Modifieds and Hot Rods, Ontario Outlaw Super Late Models, Can-Am Midgets and their season finishes with the annual Autumn Colours Classic weekend.
|Canada’s Toughest 1/3 Mile Oval|
|Location||1710 Mount Pleasant Road. |
|Time zone||UTC-5 (UTC-4 DST)|
|Owner||Jean-Paul (JP) Josiasse|
|Operator||Jean-Paul (JP) Josiasse|
|Opened||May 28, 1967|
|Former names||Westgate Speedway|
|Major events||Autumn Colours Classic|
CASCAR Super Series
APC United Late Model Series
Ontario Outlaw Super Late Models
Can-Am Midget Racing Series
Ontario Legends Series
|Length||1/3 mi (.536 km)|
Peterborough Speedway was formerly known as Westgate Speedway when it opened for the first time on Sunday May 28, 1967. The four original owners from the Peterborough area built the track at a cost of $70,000. New ownership renamed the facility Peterborough Speedway in 1986 and the track celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2017.
Autumn Colours ClassicEdit
Since 1993, Peterborough Speedway has presented the "Autumn Colours Classic" during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend in October. The three days of racing features close to 10 different divisions of drivers and teams from across the province and is considered one of the most important stock car events in Ontario.
- "Peterborough Speedway". MyKawartha.com. Mar 29, 2016. Retrieved July 3, 2020.
- Davies, Mike (April 22, 2020). "Peterborough Speedway idling as COVID-19 shuts province down". The Peterborough Examiner. Retrieved July 3, 2020.
- "Memories of Peterborough Speedway 50 years later". The Peterborough Examiner. May 21, 2017. Retrieved July 3, 2020.
- Clarke, Jim (March 15, 2017). "Peterborough Speedway unwraps its 50th anniversary schedule". The Belleville Intelligencer. Retrieved July 3, 2020.
- Meeks, Tim (September 11, 2019). "Plans for the 27th Autumn Colours Classic hit top speed". The Belleville Intelligencer. Retrieved July 3, 2020.
- "Peterborough Speedway to host Autumn Colours Classic in October". Auto123.com. September 4, 2013. Retrieved July 3, 2020.