Peterborough Herald and Post
The Peterborough Herald and Post was a weekly freesheet delivered to households in the city of Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, in the United Kingdom. It was run from offices on Cross Street in the city centre, until ceasing operations in 2008.
|Type||Defunct Local newspaper|
|Owner(s)||Midland Weekly Media|
|Circulation||96,062 (Adult AIR)|
The Peterborough Standard (established 1872) was published weekly by Sharman Newspapers, under the title Peterborough and Huntingdonshire Standard to 1931. A localised edition was published from 1980 to 1984 and from then titled the Oundle Standard. This amalgamated with free title the New Classified (established 1981) in 1983, briefly publishing as the Classified Standard.
Having expanded to publishing and printing 11 weekly newspapers in the East Anglia region, the publishing side of the business was sold in 1989. Since then Sharman & Co. have been providing newspaper printing services to clients including the major regional publishers, independent local and specialist publishers, corporate communications departments, political parties, foreign language publishers, councils and universities.
The Herald and Post was published from 1989 as a replacement for the Standard. The Oundle Herald and Post was a localised edition published until 1994. The paper was owned by Midland Weekly Media Ltd., part of Trinity Mirror Plc. The Stamford Herald and Post, Whittlesey Standard and Deepings Standard were also affected by the closure. An earlier proposal, which would have seen rival Johnston Press purchase the papers, was rejected by the Competition Commission.
- Top line readership data for all JICREG subscribing Newspapers (p.13) Joint Industry Committee for Regional Press Research, based on October 2007 data release
- Peterborough Standard Newsplan, Libraries and Information East Midlands (retrieved 2 June 2008)
- New Classified Newsplan, Libraries and Information East Midlands (retrieved 2 June 2008)
- About Us Sharman & Co. (retrieved 3 June 2008)
- Peterborough Herald and Post Newsplan, Libraries and Information East Midlands (retrieved 2 June 2008)
- Midland Weekly Media Archived 17 August 2007 at the Wayback Machine Trinity Mirror, London (retrieved 18 September 2007)
- Herald and Post to close Peterborough Evening Telegraph, 24 April 2008
- Johnston Press Plc and Trinity Mirror Plc: A report on the proposed merger Competition Commission, 8 April 2002
- Milmo, Dan Regulators scupper regional press deal Media Guardian, 9 May 2002