Peter Walton (referee)
Peter Walton (born 10 October 1959) is an English former professional football referee who officiated in the Premier League from 2003 to 2012. Beginning 2013, he was general manager of the Professional Referee Organization (PRO) in North America until being replaced by Howard Webb in January 2018.
|Full name||Peter Walton|
10 October 1959|
Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England
|1993-1994||Football League||Assistant referee|
|1994-1998||Premier League||Assistant referee|
|1996-1998||FIFA listed||Assistant referee|
Walton is also a former player in the United Counties League. He is based in Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, the village which he played his football for. He lists his interests as current affairs and golf.
In the same year he became a FIFA assistant referee, officiating in that capacity during Euro '96 in England, notably in a group-stage match between Germany and the Czech Republic at Old Trafford, which Germany won 2–0.
Walton was promoted to the Football League list of referees in 1998. At this point, he also stepped down from the FIFA assistant referees' list.
In 2003, he was added to the Select Group of referees and took charge of the Football League Trophy final between Bristol City and Carlisle United on 6 April, with the Robins triumphing 2–0. He also refereed a Division 1 play-off semi-final second leg and a Division 3 play-off semi-final first leg at the end of the 2002-03 season.
At the end of January 2007, Walton accompanied Regional Referees' Manager Ray Olivier (a Football League referee himself) to Guayaquil, Ecuador, to undertake an Advanced Course for Referees' Instructors on behalf of the Football Association and CONMEBOL. Olivier is quoted as saying: "It is also a great fillip to have someone of Peter's calibre as part of the team and his experience of refereeing in the Premiership is invaluable to those referees taking part in this workshop."
Walton refereed the 2008 FA Community Shield match between Manchester United and Portsmouth, issuing three cautions during the game between the Premier League champions and FA Cup winners of the previous season, which United won 3–1 on penalties after extra-time.
Walton's last appointment as a Premier League referee was Everton's 2–0 home win over West Bromwich Albion on 31 March 2012. He then took up a new role as the general manager of the Professional Referee Organization (PRO) for the Football Leagues in the United States and Canada, from 2 April 2012.
Upon his appointment, Walton said to proreferees.com: "I think the referees we've got in North America are very good.
“I think the competitive nature of our leagues are very good as well and what I'm intending to do is match-up the referee abilities to that of the playing side.
"We can see great strides being taken with the league and with the infrastructure, with the players and I must make sure our referees are running parallel to that so we advance at the same pace and there isn't a gap developing or developed."
|Season||Games||Total||per game||Total||per game|
- Birthdate and biographical details Archived 15 January 2008 at the Wayback Machine: The Football League Official website.
- "PROreferees.com". PROreferees.com.
- "PRO promotes Howard Webb to General Manager". PROreferees.com.
- Home town[permanent dead link] reference example: The Pink-Un online.
- Playing career reference: UCL Newsletter 168 August 2003.
- Hobbies and interests Archived 14 November 2006 at the Wayback Machine, plus further biography: Premier League Official website.
- Details Archived 16 July 2007 at the Wayback Machine of Germany v. Czech Republic: UEFA.com website.
- Reported comment by Joe Kinnear: Independent.co.uk through FindArticles.com website.
- Match details Archived 1 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine: Football League Trophy at soccerbase.com website.
- Sheff. Utd. v. Nottm. Forest, 2003 (old) First Division play-off semi-final second leg.
- Lincoln v. Scunthorpe, 2003 (old) Division Three play-off semi-final first leg.
- First ever Premier League match: soccerbase.com website.
- Ecuador trip with Ray Olivier: Confederación Sudamericana de Fútbol website.
- Ecuador trip with Ray Olivier: TheFA.com website.
- "Walton: "a long-term building process"". PROreferees.com. Archived from the original on 19 September 2015.