Schmidl was born in Olomouc, Czech Republic, and studied clarinet at the University of Music and Performing Arts, Vienna. He was the principal clarinetist of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. He has played with the MDR Orchestra, the Salzburg Mozarteum Orchestra, and the Tokyo New Philharmonia. He has taught at the University of Music and Performing Arts, Vienna since 1967.
- Classical Bliss, with various artists. Naxos, 2009.
- Mozart: Clarinet Concerto / Symphony No. 25, with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. Naxos, 2006.
- Chill with Beethoven, with various artists. Naxos, 2006.
- Beethoven for Meditation, with various artists. Naxos, 2005.
- The Art of the Clarinet, with Madoka Inui, Teodora Miteva and Pierre Pichler. Naxos, 2003.Peter Schmidl is the son and grandson of Vienna Philharmonic clarinetists he comes by the Viennese tone and style naturally
Decorations and awardsEdit
- Gold Medal of the Province of Salzburg
- Honorary Ring of the Vienna Philharmonic
- Grand Decoration of Honour for Services to the Republic of Austria (1999)
- Large golden belt of the Vienna Ambulance
- Cross of Honour of Cultural Merit of the Republic of Romania
- Appointment as Special Advisor for Cultural Exchange by the Japanese Ministry of Culture
- Mozart Silver Medal at the International Mozarteum Foundation
- Austrian Cross of Honour for Science and Art, 1st class (2008)