Peter Pike (British politician)
Peter Leslie Pike (born 26 June 1937) is a former Labour Party politician in the United Kingdom. He served as the Member of Parliament for Burnley, from 1983 to 2005. During 2002, he announced his intention to retire as an MP at the next general election. In December 2002, Labour announced they were preparing to choose a woman as his successor.
|Member of Parliament |
10 June 1983 – 11 April 2005
|Preceded by||Dan Jones|
|Succeeded by||Kitty Ussher|
|Born||26 June 1937|
Ware, Hertfordshire, England
In January 2003, an all women shortlist was made over his successor. His youngest daughter, Jane, was an firm favourite to succeed him, but she did not make the shortlist. In February 2004, Kitty Ussher was chosen as his successor. In December 2013, his role in the Anti-Apartheid Movement was praised in Parliament during tributes to former anti apartheid activist and President of South Africa, Nelson Mandela.
In June 2015, he was re elected as Chair of Burnley Constituency Labour Party. He stepped down from this role in January 2016, citing the party needs a younger and much more active chair. He gave up party office after almost sixty years of holding several positions, including Member of Parliament of Burnley. He first came to the town in 1963.
- Who's Who
- "MPs' expenses scandal - ex-Burnley MP Peter Pike in the clear". Longridge Today. 28 October 2009. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "Woman MP for Burnley?". lancashiretelegraph.co.uk. 23 December 2002. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Labour reveals short-list of three". lancashiretelegraph.co.uk. 23 January 2004. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Daughter linked to fill dad's shoes". lancashiretelegraph.co.uk. 15 January 2013. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Kitty chosen as Pike's successor". lancashiretelegraph.co.uk. 13 February 2004. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Ex-MP pays tribute to Nelson Mandela". www.burnleyexpress.net. 6 December 2013. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- "Peter Pike remains chair of Burnley Labour Party". theboltonnews.co.uk. 23 June 2015. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- "Ex-MP to quit as Burnley Labour Party boss". asianimage.co.uk. 12 January 2016. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Peter Pike
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Burnley
|This article about a Labour Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (MP) representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|