Peter Lloyd (journalist)
Peter Lloyd (born 1966) is a journalist and senior producer for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's news and current affairs program Lateline. He was previously the ABC's South Asia correspondent based in New Delhi, from where he reported across all ABC national and international radio and television news and current affairs programs.
Lloyd was due to return to Australia to co-host ABC News Breakfast with Virginia Trioli on ABC2 from October 2008, but he was arrested in Singapore on drugs charges. He served six months of a ten-month jail sentence. In April 2010, Lloyd was re-hired by the ABC for his current Lateline role.
Twice nominated for national awards, Lloyd covered news and events from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Bhutan and Bangladesh. Between 2002 and mid-2006, he was based in Bangkok, Thailand, covering the South East Asia region for the ABC. Reporting across the ten ASEAN states, Lloyd earned praise for distinguished reporting of the 2002 and 2005 Bali bombings and 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami disaster.
On 18 July 2008, Singaporean police arrested Lloyd and charged him with possession of 0.8 grams of methamphetamine (the drug 'ice'), one smoking pipe and six syringes. The Singaporean police said that his urine tested positive for amphetamines and he was being investigated for trafficking a controlled drug. Lloyd was released on bail of SGD 60 000, posted by his lover Mohamed Mazlee bin Abdul Malik.
In November 2008, Singapore's Attorney-General dropped the harsher trafficking charge against Lloyd, leaving him to face four lesser charges.
Lloyd returned to work for the ABC as a senior journalist on Lateline in April 2010.
- "Drug-charge reporter returns to ABC fold for Lateline post". The Australian. 12 April 2010. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- Smiles, Sarah; Ricketson, Matthew and Arup, Tom (19 July 2008). "ABC correspondent on Singapore drug charges". The Age. Melbourne. Retrieved 19 July 2008.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "ABC correspondent facing drug charges in Singapore". ABC Online. 18 July 2008. Retrieved 18 July 2008.
- Davies, Lisa (27 July 2008). "Lloyd's saviour was gay lover". The Sunday Telegraph. Retrieved 1 September 2008.
- "Lloyd drug trafficking charge dropped". The Sydney Morning Herald. 4 November 2008. Retrieved 4 November 2008.
- "Lloyd sentenced to 10 months jail". The Sydney Morning Herald. 2 December 2008. Retrieved 2 December 2008.
- "Ex-ABC correspondent Lloyd released". ABC Online. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- "Inside Story". Allen and Unwin. Retrieved 6 November 2010.
- John Davidson & Charlene Fang (5 November 2010). "Peter Lloyd: Journo jailbird reveals all after six months behind bars". CNNGo. Retrieved 6 November 2010.