A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Peter Kranke (born 10 July 1973, Würzburg) is anesthetist and professor of anesthesiology at the University of Würzburg, Germany. Kranke is known for the design and conduct of clinical studies and for performing systematic reviews in the context of perioperative medicine. He published numerous papers on research focussed on evidence-based medicine and interventional and observational trials on postoperative nausea and vomiting and other issues in conjunction with perioperative medicine and associated topics. The area of his clinical responsibility and interest, among others, is the safe provision of anesthesia and analgesia in obstetrics and gynecology.
|Known for||Clinical research, clinical trials, evidence-based medicine, postoperative nausea and vomiting, patient safety, obstetric anaesthesia|
|Institutions||University of Würzburg|
Kranke studied medicine at the University of Würzburg from 1994 to 99, followed by a practical year (PJ) at the University of Heidelberg and at the Cantonal Hospital of Baden Switzerland. In 2000 he was promoted to doctor of medicine ("magna cum laude"). In 2005 he was approved as medical specialist in anesthesiology (consultant anesthetist) and was habilitated in the same year with a work on the application of evidence-based medicine in the perioperative period with special focus on postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV). He also holds an MBA since 2005. In 2007 he was named senior physician at the Department of Anaesthesia and Critical Care at the University of Würzburg. There he heads the clinical research since 2008. In 2009 he was named full professor of anesthesiology at the University of Würzburg. Kranke also holds special titles for intensive care medicine, pain management palliative care, emergency medicine, acupuncture and medical quality management (Bavarian chamber of physicians) as well as qualifications with respect to the conduct of clinical trials (phase II to IV). The working group "clinical studies" and trial management, headed by Kranke, compiles systematic reviews on interventions in health care with associated economic benefit assessment according to the criteria of the cochrane collaboration, other systematic reviews and has a coordinating role with respect to clinical trials.
The main area of expertise and emphasis of Kranke's scientific work was in the area of observational and interventional trials on risk factors for PONV as well as investigator initiated trials and industry-driven trials to investigate interventions aiming at the prevention or treatment of PONV. Among these trials, many studies were aiming to get a label for the indication of PONV prevention (phase II and III trials). Further, Kranke´s group conducted numerous systematic reviews on interventions in conjunction with the perioperative period, amongst other, various antiemetics. In addition, Kranke has set up and validated many tools and prognostic instruments with respect to the prediction of PONV and other adverse events in the perioperative phase, such as PONV and shivering. An additional emphasis was put on the pharmacoeconomic assessment and analysis and implementation studies and analyses on the impact of algorithms with regard to the quality of care. The focus on evidence-base medicine in anaesthesia soon led to the conduct of Cochrane Reviews and their regular update in the field of perioperative medicine and associated topics, a topic that still constitutes a main focus of the group. This expertise and focus has led to the participation in many consensus and guideline development groups. Apart from perioperative medicine in general, another area of research is in the field of obstetric anaesthesia and analgesia, quality of recovery and patient safety. Among others, Kranke's interest was in evaluating alternative methods for the provision of labour analgesia and its safe implementation in clinical practice. Very early, and based on results of conducted systematic reviews, Kranke and colleagues highlighted the suspicious trial results published by Fujii and colleagues. Findings, that were negated for a long time, but finally reconfirmed by subsequent, comprehensive analyses.
- Carl-Ludwig-Schleich Price of the DGAI (2016)
- ESA-Meta-Analysis Grant (2013)
- 1st Lilly Quality-of-Life Price (2004)
Since 2010 Kranke is editor of the European Journal of Anaesthesiology, member of the expert panel of the journal Anästhesiologie Intensivmedizin Notfallmedizin Schmerztherapie and has had several positions within the European Society of Anaesthesiology (member and later chairman of the Scientific Committee for Evidence Based Medicine and Quality Improvement, member of the Scientific Committee on Obstetric Anaesthesia, Member of the Patient Safety and Quality Committee). Kranke is co-author of the recommendations by the international consensus conferences for the management of postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) including their regular updates as well as European recommendation for preoperative fasting and the S3-guidelines on fluid management in the perioperative period under the auspice of by the German Society of Anaesthesiology. Kranke is also a member of the Obstetric Committee (2016-2020) of the World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists.
- Die Geburtshilfliche Anästhesie. Springer (2017). ISBN 978-3-662-54374-0
- Peter Kranke and Leopold Eberhart (Eds.) (2012), Übelkeit und Erbrechen in der perioperativen Phase (PONV): Risikoeinschätzung, Vermeidung und Therapie in der klinischen Praxis (in German), Deutscher Ärzte-Verlag (1000), ISBN 978-3769112863CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Leopold Eberhart and Peter Kranke (Eds.): Fast-Track-Anästhesie. UNI-MED; 1st ed. (December 2009) ISBN 3-8374-1193-1.
Book chapters (selection)
- L. Eberhart, P. Kranke, M. Anders, M. Reyle-Hahn: "Postoperative Phase" in: Die Anästhesiologie 3rd ed., Editor: Rossaint, Werner, Zwißler. Springer Verlag; Kapitel: 44
- Habilitation thesis in the catalogue of the German National Library
- Department of Anaesthesia and Critical Care, University Hospitals of Würzburg
- C. C. Apfel, P. Kranke, L. H. J. Eberhart. Comparison of surgical site and patient's history with a simplified score for the prediction of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anaesthesia 2004; 59: 1078–1082
- An International Multicenter Protocol to Assess the single and combined benefits of antiemetic interventions in a Controlled clinical Trial of a 2 ' 2 ' 2 ' 2 ' 2 ' 2 factorial design (IMPACT). Controlled Clinical Trials 2003; 24:736–51
- C. C Apfel, P. Kranke, M. H. Katz, C. Goepfert, T. Papenfuss, S. Rauch, R. Heineck, C.-A. Greim, N. Roewer. Volatile anaesthetics may be the main cause of early but not delayed postoperative vomiting: a randomized controlled trial of factorial design. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2002; 88: 659–668
- Apfel CC, Korttila K, Abdalla M, Kerger H, Turan A, Vedder I, Zernak C, Danner K, Jokela R, Pocock SJ, Trenkler S, Kredel M, Biedler A, Sessler DI, Roewer N: A factorial trial of six interventions for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting. NEJM. 2004 Jun 10;350(24):2441-51.
- Kranke P, Röhm KD, Diemunsch P, Gan TJ, Apfel CC, Eberhart L, Minkowitz HS, Wallenborn J, Chassard D, Lebuffe G, Fox GM, Tramèr MR: Intravenous buspirone for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2012 Nov;68(11):1465–72. doi: 10.1007/s00228-012-1284-8. Epub 2012 May 1.
- Kranke P, Eberhart L, Motsch J, Chassard D, Wallenborn J, Diemunsch P, Liu N, Keh D, Bouaziz H, Bergis M, Fox G, Gan TJ: I.V. APD421 (amisulpride) prevents postoperative nausea and vomiting: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial. Br J Anaesth. 2013 Dec;111(6):938-45. doi: 10.1093/bja/aet251. Epub 2013 Jul 19.
- P. Kranke, J. P. Thompson, P. L. Dalby, L. H. Eberhart, E. Novikova, B. M. Johnson, S. F. Russ, R. Noble, R. A. Brigandi. Comparison of vestipitant with ondansetron for the treatment of breakthrough postoperative nausea and vomiting after failed prophylaxis with ondansetron. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2015; Mar;114(3):423–9
- P. Kranke, L. H. Eberhart, N. Roewer, M. R. Tramèr. Single-dose parenteral pharmacological interventions for the prevention of postoperative shivering – A quantitative systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Anesthesia and Analgesia 2004; 99: 718–727
- P. Kranke, A. M. Morin, N. Roewer, H. Wulf, L. H. Eberhart. The efficacy and safety of transdermal scopolamine for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting: A quantitative systematic review. Anesthesia and Analgesia 2002; 95: 133–143
- A. Schnabel, L. Eberhart, A. Morin, H. van Aken, N. Roewer, P. Kranke. Efficacy and safety of perphenazine in the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV): A quantitative systematic review. Anesthesia & Analgesia 2008; 106: S-3
- P. Kranke, A. M. Morin, N. Roewer, L. H. Eberhart. Dimenhydrinate for prophylaxis of postoperative nausea and vomiting. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica 2002; 46: 238–244
- P. Kranke, L. H. Eberhart, H. Toker, N. Roewer, H. Wulf, P. Kiefer. A prospective evaluation of the POVOC-score for the prediction of postoperative vomiting in children. Anesthesia and Analgesia 2007; 105: 1592–1597
- L. H. J. Eberhart, G. Geldner, P. Kranke, A. M. Morin, A. Schäuffelen, H. Treiber, H. Wulf. Development and validation of a risk score to predict the probability of postoperative vomiting in pediatric patients. Anesthesia and Analgesia 2004; 99: 1630–1637
- Eberhart LH, Döderlein F, Eisenhardt G, Kranke P, Sessler DI, Torossian A, Wulf H, Morin AM: Independent risk factors for postoperative shivering. Anesth Analg. 2005 Dec;101(6):1849–57.
- L. Eberhart, T. Koch, P. Kranke, D. Rüsch, A. Torossian, S. Nardi-Hiebl. Activity-based cost analysis of opioid-related nausea and vomiting among inpatients.J Opioid Manag. 2014 Nov–Dec;10(6):415–22
- P. Kranke, L. H. Eberhart, T. J. Gan, N. Roewer, M. R. Tramèr. Algorithms for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting: An efficacy and efficiency simulation. European Journal of Anaesthesiology 2007; 24: 856–867
- P. Kranke, M. Bennett, I. Roeckl-Wiedmann, S. Debus. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for chronic wounds. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(2)
- P. Kranke, M.H. Bennett, James M. Martyn-St, A. Schnabel, S.E. Debus. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for chronic wounds. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 Apr 18;4
- M.H. Bennett, S. Weibel, J. Wasiak, A. Schnabel, C. French, P. Kranke. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for acute ischaemic stroke. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014 Nov 12
- I. Smith, P. Kranke, I. Murat, A. Smith, G. O'Sullivan, E. Søreide, C. Spies, B. in't Veld; European Society of Anaesthesiology. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2011 Aug;28(8):556–69
- Gan TJ, Diemunsch P, Habib AS, Kovac A, Kranke P, Meyer TA, Watcha M, Chung F, Angus S, Apfel CC, Bergese SD, Candiotti KA, Chan MT, Davis PJ, Hooper VD, Lagoo-Deenadayalan S, Myles P, Nezat G, Philip BK, Tramèr MR: Consensus guidelines for the management of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesth Analg. 2014 Jan;118(1):85–113. doi: 10.1213/ANE.0000000000000002.
- A. Schnabel, N. Hahn, R. Muellenbach, T. Frambach, A. Hoenig, N. Roewer, P. Kranke. Obstetric analgesia in German clinics. Remifentanil as alternative to regional analgesia. Anaesthesist. 2011 Nov; 60(11):995–1001
- A. Schnabel, N. Hahn, J. Broscheit, R.M. Muellenbach, L. Rieger, N. Roewer, P. Kranke. Remifentanil for labour analgesia: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2012 Apr;29(4):177–85.
- P. Kranke, P. Lavand'homme. The relief of pain in labour and the role of remifentanil. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2012 Mar; 29(3):116–20.
- P. Kranke, C.C. Apfel, N. Roewer, Y. Fujii. Reported data on granisetron and postoperative nausea and vomiting by Fujii et al. Are incredibly nice! Anesth Analg. 2000 Apr;90(4):1004-7.
- P. Kranke, C.C. Apfel, L.H. Eberhart, M. Georgieff, N. Roewer. The influence of a dominating centre on a quantitative systematic review of granisetron for preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2001 Jul;45(6):659–70.
- C.C. Apfel, P. Kranke, C.A. Greim, N. Roewer. Non-systematic serial publishing is not appropriate and ethically questionable. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1999 Apr;43(4):486–7
- P. Kranke, C.C. Apfel, C.A. Greim, N. Roewer. Methodological problems arising from 'serial publishing' on the effectiveness of granisetron in PONV. Br J Anaesth. 1999 Mar;82(3):481–3.
- P. Kranke. Putting the record straight: granisetron's efficacy as an antiemetic 'post-Fujii'. Anaesthesia. 2012 Oct;67(10):1063-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2044.2012.07318.x. Epub 2012 Aug 16.
- J.B. Carlisle. The analysis of 168 randomised controlled trials to test data integrity. Anaesthesia. 2012 May;67(5):521–37.
- "Carl-Ludwig-Schleich-Preis". Archived from the original on 4 July 2017. Retrieved 20 August 2017.
- European Journal of Anaesthesiology
- Anästhesiologie Intensivmedizin Notfallmedizin Schmerztherapie
- Leitlinien-Detailansicht Intravasale Volumentherapie beim Erwachsenen
- Obstetric Committee der World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists