Peter Joseph, 2010
1979 (age 38–39)|
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, U.S.
Peter Joseph is an American independent filmmaker and activist. He is best known for the Zeitgeist film series, which he wrote, directed, narrated, scored, and produced. He is the founder of the related The Zeitgeist Movement. Other professional work includes directing the music video God Is Dead? for the band Black Sabbath
Early life and education
According to Joseph he was born in Winston-Salem, North Carolina and attended high school at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts. After graduation, he moved to New York City to pursue a career in solo classical percussion performance, attending the New School for Social Research.
Joseph began his professional career working in advertising and as a private equity trader on Wall Street. In 2007, he produced a live performance art piece in New York City that he entitled "Zeitgeist." A film version was created and released by Joseph online and went viral with millions of views. It became the first in a trilogy of films produced by Joseph, the others being Zeitgeist: Addendum and Zeitgeist: Moving Forward, released in 2008 and 2011 respectively.
In 2009, Joseph founded The Zeitgeist Movement, a self-described "sustainability advocacy organization." It was originally started as the "activist arm" of an organization called The Venus Project, launched by Jacque Fresco in 1994. In 2011 the two organizations separated. Joseph's work with the Movement and the Trilogy has been the subject of national media attention to include articles in The New York Times, The Palm Beach Post, VC Reporter, and TheMarker.
Joseph is the owner of Gentle Machine Productions LLC, a production company that has released many of his projects, including the Zeitgeist film trilogy. It also is responsible for the production of Culture in Decline, a web series launched by Joseph in 2012, as well as Joseph's new feature film project: InterReflections.
Peter Joseph directed a "short-film" music video for the heavy metal music group Black Sabbath, entitled "God Is Dead?" The film had its world-premiere screening at the band's June 6, 2013, album release in Hollywood's Harmony Gold Preview Center. The music video film is largely composed of symbolism extracted from Joseph's Zeitgeist trilogy, coupled with layers of imposed archival imagery of the band.
Joseph has given a number of lectures and interviews, including TEDx talks, a feature at the 2011 Cine Futuro film festival, a feature at the 2011 Leaders Causing Leaders conference, appearances on RT TV, the Joe Rogan podcast in 2012, The Young Turks, and the Marker TV in Israel. Major news media have done profiles of him, including the New York Times. He was a judge in the 2015 USFUCA Worldwide Youth Contest supporting youth generated technological progress and has been featured by The Global Summit. Joseph is also on the steering committee of Project Peace on Earth.
- Murdock, D.M.; Joseph, Peter (2011). The Zeitgeist Sourcebook - Part 1: The Greatest Story Ever Told (PDF).
- "Peter Joseph, Official Media Archive". peterjoseph.info. Retrieved 9 Aug 2013.
- Donovan, Travis (16 May 2015). "The Zeitgeist Movement: Envisioning A Sustainable Future". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Black Sabbath Taps Controversial Filmmaker Peter Joseph for God Is Dead? Video". Blabbermouth. 8 June 2013. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- Danaylov, Nikola. "Peter Joseph on Singularity 1 on 1: We Are All Subjected To The Same Natural Law System". Singularity 1 on 1. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- Uygur, Cenk. "Peter Joseph, Zeitgeist Movement Founder on TYT". The Young Turks. YouTube. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "PODCAST #173 - Peter Joseph, Brian Redban". The Joe Rogan Experience. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- Bill Stamets (February 15, 2011). "Art-house films: 'Marwencol,' 'Zeitgeist'". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved March 7, 2011. "The view from Venus". Orlando Weekly.
- Feuer, Alan (2009-03-17). "They've Seen the Future and Dislike the Present". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- Rhonda Swan, A dream worth having, The Palm Beach Post, May 1, 2009
- New world re-order: The Zeitgeist Movement spreads to Ventura County, Shane Cohn, VC Reporter, May 12, 2011
- http://www.gentlemachineproductions.com/about.html Retrieved April-15-14
- http://domainsigma.com/whois/gentlemachineproductions.com Retrieved April-15-2014
- Roffman, Michael. "Watch Black Sabbath's haunting new video for God is Dead?". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- Peter Joseph – The Big Question, TEDxOjai, March 9, 2012
- Peter Joseph – The Zeitgeist Movement – spreading the interest for a new social system, TED (conference)|TEDxOjai, February 29, 2012
- "Zeitgeist: Moving beyond money". RT. March 26, 2011.
- The Zeitgeist Movement – Money, Debt and the Economy, RT, December 2, 2011
- Zeitgeist Solutions for the World, RT, September 14, 2011
- Interview with Activist and Filmmaker Peter Joseph, RT, April 10, 2011
- The Zeitgeist Movement on Solutions to War, Imperialism and The State, RT, February 10, 2012
- "PODCAST #173 – Peter Joseph, Brian Redban".
- Discussion of the Zeitgeist movement with Peter Joseph, TheMarkerTV, January 19, 2012. Interview conducted in English, following a brief introduction to Joseph and the movement in Hebrew.
- "PPOE Steering Committee, Advisory Board, and Musical Ambassadors".
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alex-simon/awaiting-interreflections_b_7628680.html Retrieved July-5-2016
- "Peter Joseph Speaks at Occupy LA". TZM. YouTube. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Peter Joseph at Occupy Wall St / New York City, 2011". Peter Joseph Archive. YouTube. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Abby Martin Discusses the Absurdity of Capitalism with Peter Joseph". YouTube. Retrieved 21 August 2017.