Peter J. Olver
Peter John Olver is an American mathematician whose primary research interests involve the applications of symmetry and Lie groups to differential equations. He has been a full professor at the University of Minnesota since 1985 and is currently head of their mathematics department. In 2003, Olver was one of the top 234 most cited mathematicians in the world.
Peter J. Olver
|Born||January 11, 1952 (age 67)|
|Alma mater||Brown University|
|Known for||Symmetry groups of partial differential equations|
|Institutions||University of Chicago|
University of Oxford
University of Maryland
University of Minnesota
|Doctoral advisor||Garrett Birkhoff|
|Doctoral students||17 students|
In 2014, Olver became a fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics for "developing new geometric methods for differential equations leading to applications in fluid mechanics, elasticity, quantum mechanics, and image processing.". In addition, Olver is an elected fellow of the Institute of Physics and a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
Olver is a prolific author, having written over 200 academic papers as of 2015. Of these, 137 have appeared or will appear in major refereed journals, 46 have appeared in conference proceedings and seven have appeared as appendices and chapters in books.
- Olver, P. J. (1986), Applications of Lie Groups to Differential Equations, Springer, doi:10.1007/978-1-4684-0274-2
- Olver, P. J. (1995), Equivalence, Invariants and Symmetry, Cambridge University Press, doi:10.1017/CBO9780511609565
- Olver, P. J. (1999), Classical Invariant Theory, Cambridge University Press, doi:10.1017/CBO9780511623660
- Olver, P. J.; Shakiban, C. (2006), Applied Linear Algebra, Prentice–Hall
- Olver, P. J. (2014), Introduction to Partial Differential Equations, Springer, doi:10.1007/978-3-319-02099-0
- Peter Olver at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Peter J. Olver. "Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- University of Minnesota. "Faculty". Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- University of Minnesota. "How do we rank?". Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- SIAM. "SIAM Fellows: Class of 2014". Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- AMS. "List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society". Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- zbMATH. "Olver, Peter J." Retrieved 19 June 2017.