Peter I, Count of Savoy
Peter I (c. 1048 – 9 August 1078) was count of Savoy and margrave of Turin jointly with his brother Amadeus II of Savoy from c. 1060 to 1078. He ruled only nominally, as true power was in the hands of his mother, Adelaide of Susa.
|Count of Savoy and Margrave of Turin|
|Predecessor||Otto of Savoy|
|Successor||Amadeus II of Savoy|
|Noble family||House of Savoy|
|Spouse(s)||Agnes of Aquitaine|
|Father||Otto I, Count of Savoy|
|Mother||Adelaide of Susa|
Peter presided over court hearings alongside Adelaide and also issued several donation charters with her and his brothers Amadeus II of Savoy and Otto. Shortly before his death, Peter united with Bishop Cunibert of Turin in an attempt to drive Abbot Benedict II from his abbey of San Michele della Chiusa.
- C.W. Previté-Orton, The Early History of the House of Savoy (1000–1233) (Cambridge, 1912), accessible online at: archive.org
- S. Hellmann, Die Grafen von Savoyen und das Reich: bis zum Ende der staufischen Periode (Innsbruck, 1900), accessible online (but without page numbers) at: Genealogie Mittelalter
- A.M. Patrone, 'Agnes di Poitiers,' in "Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani" – Volume 1 (1960)
- Previté-Orton, Early History, p. 205 (birthdate), p. 241 (deathdate)
- Previté-Orton, Early History, pp. 240f.; Hellmann, Grafen, pp. 19ff.
- Previté-Orton, Early History, pp. 205, 231; Patrone, 'Agnese'; Creber, Alison (22 April 2019). "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do: Dissolving Royal and Noble Marriages in Eleventh-Century Germany". German History. 37 (2): 149–171. doi:10.1093/gerhis/ghy108. ISSN 0266-3554..
- Previté-Orton, Early History, p. 244; Hellmann, Grafen, pp. 25f.
Peter I, Count of SavoyBorn: c. 1048 Died: 9 August 1078
| Count of Savoy
With: Amadeus II
| Margrave of Turin
Frederick of Montbéliard