Peter Hein is an Indian action choreographer and stunt coordinator who works in South Indian films and Bollywood. He became famous for his action sequences in films such as Anniyan (2005), Sivaji (2007), Ghajini (2008), Magadheera (2009), Enthiran (2010), Raavanan (2010), 7aum Arivu (2011), Kochadaiyaan (2014), Baahubali (2015), and Pulimurugan (2016) Madhura Raja (2019). He has been nominated for the Taurus World Stunt Award against many big Hollywood names. He received a Filmfare Award for Best Action for his work in Ghajini. He was the first recipient of the National Film Award for Best Stunt Choreographer for his work in Pulimurugan.
Early life and careerEdit
He was born in Karaikal, Puducherry, India to a Tamil father and Vietnamese mother. He grew up in Chennai's Vadapalani neighbourhood. His father, Perumal, worked as an assistant fight master in Tamil films. Later, Peter started his career as an extra fighter and assistant fight master for many Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam films. During the initial days of his career, he worked as assistant to action directors Kanal Kannan and Vijayan. During his early days he was body double for heroes as well as heroines.
His debut film as "fight master " was in Gautham Menon's debut directorial Minnale (2001). Krishna Vamsi, a Telugu film director recognised his sincerity and dedication and offered him the chance to direct the action sequences for the film Murari which was also dubbed into Tamil. From then on, he became a full-length action film director, action co-ordinator and stunt director for various Telugu and Tamil films.
He acquired recognition from critics and media for his work in several films such as Anji, Run, and Kaakha Kaakha and it was his work in films such as Varsham, Anniyan, Athadu, Chatrapati and so on that brought him critical acclaim. Ram Gopal Varma introduced him to Bollywood with the film James. Mani Ratnam was very much impressed with his work in films like Athadu, Anniyan and Sivaji and enrolled him to direct the stunt sequences for the film Raavan. However, due to scheduling conflicts with Magadheera, Hein has done limited work for Raavan. He was the first recipient of the National Film Award for Best Stunt Choreographer for his work in Pulimurugan (2016).
|2001||Minnale||Tamil||First movie as full-time Action Director|
|Middle Class Madhavan||Tamil|
|Kadhal Kisu Kisu||Tamil|
|Enakku 20 Unakku 18||Tamil|
|Puttinikki Raa Chelli||Tamil|
|7G Rainbow Colony||Tamil|
|Anniyan||Tamil||Filmfare Best Action Director Award (South)|
|Family: Ties of Blood||Hindi|
|Sivaji: The Boss||Tamil|
|Satya in Love||Kannada|
|Ghajini||Hindi||Received Filmfare Best Action Award|
|2009||Ek: The Power of One||Hindi|
|Magadheera||Telugu||Received NANDI STATE AWARD|
|Enthiran: The Robot||Tamil|
|Ramaa: The Saviour||Hindi|
|Maattrraan||Tamil||SIIMA Award for Best Fight Choreographer|
Nominated – Vijay Award for Best Stunt Director
|Julai||Telugu||SIIMA Award for Best Fight Choreographer|
|2015||Baahubali: The Beginning||Tamil
|2016||Pulimurugan||Malayalam||National Film Award for Best Stunt Choreographer|
|2017||Baahubali 2: The Conclusion||Tamil
|2018||Touch Chesi Chudu||Telugu|
|Irupathiyonnaam Noottaandu||Malayalam||Post production|
|Ka Pe Ranasingam||Tamil||Announced|
|2004||Pudhukottaiyilirundhu Saravanan||Tamil||Chinese Immigrant|
|Manathile Oru Paattu||Tamil|
|1999||Thulladha Manamum Thullum||Tamil|
- 2004 Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Stunt Coordinator – Bose
- 2005 Filmfare Award for Best Action Director - South – Anniyan
- 2010 Edison Awards – Enthiran: The Robot
- 2011 Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Stunt Coordinator – Ko
- 2011 South Indian International Movie Awards: Sensation of South Indian cinema
- 2011 Norway Tamil Film Festival Award for Best Stunt Choreographer - Ko
- 2015 Nandi Award for Best Fight Master - Baahubali: The Beginning
- 2017 Special jury award-19th Asianet film awards
- 2016 National Film Award for Best Stunt Choreographer – Pulimurugan
- 2007 Vijay Award for Best Stunt Director – Sivaji: The Boss
- 2010 Taurus World Stunt Award for Best Action in a Foreign Film – Raavanan
- 2010 Vijay Award for Best Stunt Director – Enthiran: The Robot
- 2011 Vijay Award for Best Stunt Director – 7aum Arivu
- 2012 Vijay Award for Best Stunt Director – Maattrraan
- 2012 South Indian International Movie Awards for Best Fight Choreographer – Maattrraan
- 2016 Asianet Film Awards Special Jury Award – "Pulimurugan"
- Malani, Gaurav (27 March 2009). "Ek – The Power of One: Movie Review". Indiatimes. 27 March 2009. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (12 December 2018). "Peter Hein first choreographed Mohanlal's action scenes in Ravanaprabhu". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 August 2019.