|Born||Peter Simpson Hedges|
July 6, 1962
West Des Moines, Iowa, U.S.
|Occupation||Novelist, playwright, screenwriter, film director, film producer|
|Alma mater||North Carolina School of the Arts|
|Notable works||What's Eating Gilbert Grape (novel, 1991)|
Dan in Real Life (film, 2007)
Susan Bruce Titman (m. 1993)
|Children||2, Simon Hedges and Lucas Hedges|
Hedges was born in West Des Moines, Iowa, where he was raised, the son of Carole (Simpson), a psychotherapist, and the Rev. Robert Boyden Hedges, an Episcopal priest. He attended Valley High School, where he was involved in the theater department, including the improvisional group and the mime troupe, The Bakers Dozen. He later went to the North Carolina School of the Arts where he studied drama.
Hedges' novel What's Eating Gilbert Grape was adapted into a critically acclaimed movie of the same title, which launched his film career.
In 2002, he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay for About a Boy. In the same year, he wrote and directed Pieces of April, starring Katie Holmes, which he dedicated to his mother.
In 2007, he co-wrote and directed Dan in Real Life.
He wrote and directed The Odd Life of Timothy Green (2012), a film conceived by Ahmet Zappa, produced by Zappa and Scott Sanders, and released by Walt Disney Pictures. In 2018, he wrote and directed the drama Ben Is Back, about drug addiction, starring his son Lucas Hedges, and Julia Roberts.
His latest novel The Heights was published March 4, 2010 by Dutton.
- What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993) (writer)
- A Map of the World (1999) (writer)
- About a Boy (2002) (writer)
- Pieces of April (2003) (writer and director)
- Dan in Real Life (2007) (co-writer and director)
- The Odd Life of Timothy Green (2012) (co-writer and director)
- Ben Is Back (2018) (writer, director and producer)
- Oregon (1984)
- Champions of the Average Joe (1985)
- The Age of Pie (1986)
- Andy and Claire (1986)
- Teddy by the Sea (1986)
- Imagining Brad (1988)
- Baby Anger (1993)
- Good as New (1995)
- What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1991)
- An Ocean in Iowa (1998)
- The Heights (2010)
- The New York Times
- https://www.gq.com/story/lucas-hedges-is-here-cover-profile GQ, The Long Adolescence of Lucas Hedges
- Borys Kit, "Hedges on tap for Zappa's 'Odd' movie idea," Reuters.com
- GQ, The Long Adolescence of Lucas Hedges