Peter G. Neumann
Peter Gabriel Neumann (born 1932) is a computer-science researcher who worked on the Multics operating system in the 1960s. He edits the RISKS Digest columns for ACM Software Engineering Notes and Communications of the ACM. He founded ACM SIGSOFT and is a Fellow of the ACM, IEEE, and AAAS.
Peter G. Neumann
|Born||1932 (age 86–87)|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Known for||RISKS Digest|
Multics operating system
|Thesis||Efficient Error-Limiting Codes (1961)|
|Doctoral advisor||Anthony Gervin Oettinger|
Early life and educationEdit
From 1950 to 1958, Neumann studied at Harvard University. In 1961, he was granted a Ph.D. after completing a Fulbright scholarship in Germany (1958–1960). While a student at Harvard, he had a two-hour breakfast with Albert Einstein, on 8 November 1952, discussing simplicity in design.
Before the RISKS mailing list, Neumann was best known for the Provably Secure Operating System (PSOS).
Memberships and awardsEdit
Neumann is the founding editor of ACM Software Engineering Notes (SEN), and is a fellow of the ACM.
- Peter G. Neumann at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- R. C. Daley and P. G. Neumann (1965). "A General-Purpose File System For Secondary Storage". 1965 Fall Joint Computer Conference. Archived from the original on 2013-01-02.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-01-15. Retrieved 2011-05-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Markoff, John (2012-10-30). "Killing the Computer to Save It". The New York Times. New York Times. p. D1.
- Association for Computing Machinery. "ACM: Fellows Award / Peter G Neumann". Association for Computing Machinery. Archived from the original on 4 October 2006.
- Home page
- Short biography
- RISKS Forum archive
- Peter G. Neumann oral history, Charles Babbage Institute, University of Minnesota
- John Markoff (2012-10-30). "Killing the Computer to Save It (profile of Neumann)". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 2012-11-09.
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|