This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Peter Maitland Corroon (born July 16, 1964) is an American politician, current Democratic state party chair in Utah, and the former mayor of Salt Lake County, Utah. He was the unsuccessful Democratic nominee for governor in the 2010 election. Corroon is a first cousin to Howard Dean, former Vermont governor and former head of the Democratic National Committee.
|Chair of the Utah Democratic Party|
|Preceded by||Jim Dabakis|
|Succeeded by||Daisy Thomas|
|Mayor of Salt Lake County|
November 2004 – January 2013
|Preceded by||Nancy Workman|
|Succeeded by||Ben McAdams|
|Born||Peter Maitland Corroon
July 16, 1964
Greenwich, Connecticut, U.S.
Peter Corroon Jr.
|Alma mater||Carnegie Mellon University
Golden Gate University
New York University
Early life, education and careerEdit
Corroon graduated from Carnegie-Mellon University with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering in 1986. He obtained a law degree from Golden Gate University School of Law and a master's from New York University in real estate. For a time, Corroon ran a small development company.
In November 2008, Corroon was re-elected to a second term as Salt Lake County Mayor over Republican challenger Michael Renckert with 66% of the vote. In January 2010, Corroon announced his candidacy for governor of the state of Utah to challenge incumbent Republican Gary Herbert. In May, he announced his running mate would be Republican State Representative Sheryl Allen. Despite their eventual defeat in the 2010 Election, they were the first "bipartisan" gubernatorial ticket in Utah history.
In addition to being mayor of Salt Lake County, Corroon also serves as a board member for the National Association of Counties, the United Way, the Economic Development Corporation of Utah, the Utah Technology Council and the Utah State Board of Tourism.
- "Peter Corroon to succeed Jim Dabakis as Democratic Party chair". Fox 13 Salt Lake City.
- California State Bar Membership Records
- Arthur Raymond (9 January 2010). "Democrat Peter Corroon set to launch run for governor". Deseret News. Retrieved 21 August 2015.
- "Corroon to run for governor". Salt Lake Tribune.
- "Corroon announces Rep. Allen as his running mate". KSL.
- "NACo Board of Directors". National Association of Counties.
- "United Way Board of Directors". United Way of Salt Lake. Archived from the original on 2010-11-25.
- "Economic Development Corporation of Utah Board of Trustees". Economic Development Corporation of Utah.
- "Utah Technology Council Board of Trustees". Utah Technology Council.
- "Board of Tourism Development". Utah Office of Tourism. Archived from the original on 2010-06-17.
- Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon official government site
|Mayor of Salt Lake County
|Party political offices|
|Democratic nominee for Governor of Utah
|This article about a mayor in Utah is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|