Peter A. Garland
Peter A. Garland
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Maine's 1st district
January 3, 1961 – January 3, 1963
|Preceded by||James C. Oliver|
|Succeeded by||Stanley R. Tupper|
Peter Adams Garland
June 16, 1923
Boston, Massachusetts, US
|Died||January 26, 2005 (aged 81)|
Brunswick, Maine, US
|Alma mater||Bowdoin College|
Garland was an officer and director of Garland Manufacturing Co. in Saco, Maine, and Snocraft Co. in Norway, Maine. He served as an enlisted man in the United States Air Corps from 1943 to 1946, and director of the New England Council and Associated Industries of Maine from 1955 to 1957. Garland also served as a member of the Saco Superintending School Committee from 1952 to 1954. He served as mayor of Saco from 1956 to 1959, and was a New England field adviser for the Small Business Administration from 1958 to 1960.
Garland was elected as a Republican to the Eighty-seventh Congress (January 3, 1961 – January 3, 1963). He was an unsuccessful candidate for renomination to the Eighty-eighth Congress in 1962, and an unsuccessful candidate to the Ninetieth Congress in 1966.
Garland was a municipal town manager for Gorham, Maine from 1967 to 1969, a marketing director for an engineering firm from 1970 to 1972, and a city manager for Claremont, New Hampshire from 1972 to 1973. Additional public service included his being a community manager for Ocean Pines, Ocean City, Maryland from 1973 to 1974, a town manager for Searsport, Maine from 1974 to 1981, and a city manager for Bath, Maine from 1981 to 1989.
- "Rep. Peter Garland". govtrack.us. Retrieved September 26, 2012.
- "GARLAND, Peter Adams, (1923 - 2005)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved September 26, 2012.
- "Peter A. Garland, public servant was ex-congressman; 81". boston.com. Archived from the original on January 18, 2013. Retrieved September 26, 2012.
- United States Congress. "Peter A. Garland (id: G000069)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- Peter A. Garland at Find a Grave
- boston.com: Peter A. Garland, public servant was ex-congressman; 81
|U.S. House of Representatives|
James C. Oliver
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Maine's 1st congressional district
Stanley R. Tupper