|Look up peres in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Peres is a Portuguese and Galician Sephardic surname.
In the Hungarian language, it means litigant ("peres fél"). It is common in both forms Peres and Perez as well as Peretz among descendants of Sephardi Jews in Puerto Rico.
In Hebrew (פרס [ˈpeʁes]), it is the name of the bird species "Gypaetus barbatus" (lammergeier). However, Peres, Perez, and Peretz are the transliteration of the Hebrew פרץ son of Tamar and Judah.
People with the surname Peres include:
- Adans Lopez Peres, Portuguese second husband of Princess Stéphanie of Monaco
- Asher Peres, Israeli physicist (born Aristide Pressman)
- Bernardo Peres da Silva, the only native governor of Portuguese India
- Cristiana Peres, Brazilian actress
- Fernão Peres de Trava, Galician medieval nobleman
- Javier Peres, American art dealer
- Marinho Peres, Brazilian footballer
- Paio Peres Correia, Portuguese medieval nobleman
- Peres De Oliveira, Brazilian footballer
- Shimon Peres, Israeli politician (born Szymon Perski)
- Sonia Peres, Israeli first lady
- Valdir Peres, Brazilian footballer
- Vimara Peres, Galician medieval count and first Count of Portucale