Perambalur is a municipality town in the state of Tamil Nadu (Republic of India). It is the administrative headquarters of Perambalur district and Perambalur Taluk (Sub-District). Perambalur is the central town of Tamil Nadu. Perambalur district is bounded on the North by Cuddalore and Salem, South by Trichy, East by Ariyalur, West by Trichy and Salem. As of 2011[update] census, the town had a population of 49,648. There are a set of 11th century Buddhists images around the villages of Perambalur called Perambalur Buddhas.
|• Type||Second Grade Municipality|
|• Body||Perambalur Municipality|
|Elevation||143 m (469 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
The town covers an area of 20.59 square kilometres.
According to 2011 census, Perambalur had a population of 49,648 with a sex-ratio of 1,013 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. A total of 5,190 were under the age of six, constituting 2,678 males and 2,512 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 29.43% and .29% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the town was 80.77%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The town had a total of 12732 households. There were a total of 18,430 workers, comprising 998 cultivators, 1,746 main agricultural labourers, 364 in house hold industries, 13,762 other workers, 1,560 marginal workers, 49 marginal cultivators, 390 marginal agricultural labourers, 78 marginal workers in household industries and 1,043 other marginal workers. As per the religious census of 2011, Perambalur had 86.94% Hindus, 9.29% Muslims, 3.6% Christians, 0.01% Sikhs, 0.01% Buddhists, 0.0% Jains, 0.12% following other religions and 0.03% following no religion or did not indicate any religious preference.
Perambalur has many schools, polytechnic colleges, 9 engineering colleges, one private medical college with multi speciality hospital and one government medical college. There are some Arts and science colleges also situated in & around perambalur. Perambalur has a central library with internet facilities.
Perambalur is well connected by Road. Perambalur is the major junction where NH-45 (Chennai-Trichy) and NH-226 meets. Perambalur has the outer ring road which connects NH-45, NH-226 and SH-157. The nearest airport is Tiruchirappalli International Airport (IATA: TRZ, ICAO: VOTR) situated 61 km away from the town. Railway network is planned by government which will mainly connect perambalur with rest of the state/country. Government and private transport buses are available to connect rest of the state. Perambalur has two bus stands. Old bus stand handles the intra-town transport which includes buses and three wheelers. New bus stand handles State Express Transport (SETC) and Inter-District Transport (TNSTC) buses (tirupathi ( 5.30pm and 8 pm at chinnasalem, 5.20am at tirupathi)).There are frequent buses to the capital city Chennai and nearby cities like Trichy,Cuddalore,Ariyalur,Athur and thuraiyur and also has bus facilities to cities like Karur, Namakkal,Salem,Thanjavur,Coimbatore at specific times.
Minerals and MiningEdit
Perambalur district is fairly rich in mineral deposits.Celeste,Lime Stone,Shale,Sand Stone,Canker and Phosphate nodules occur at various places in the district.A good deal of building stone (rough stone) is quarried in Perambalur, Kunnam and Veppanthattai Taluks. Cement town (Ariyalur) is situated very near to Perambalur. Lime stone, which is the main ore for production of cement has been dressed from Ariyalur and being transported to many cement factories in the state.
Karai Badlands Formation Fossil ParkEdit
Karai Badlands Formation Fossil Parkhas been declared the National Geological Monuments of India by the Geological Survey of India (GSI), for their protection, maintenance, promotion and enhancement of geotourism. The naga hills, due to their complexity and position, form a barrier between the two countries. The Naga Hills are part of the Arakan Range (Rakhine Range), which to the north rise to 12,552 feet.
Perambalur's Member of Parliament (MP) at the Lok Sabha is Mr.Marutharaj of AIADMK,who has represented Perambalur Lok Sabha constituency since the Indian general election in Tamil Nadu (2014). Prior to this the seat, it was held by nepoliean who is from DMK, Perambalur's Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA) at the State Assembly is with All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (ADMK).
- "Perambalur Municipality - About Municipality". Retrieved 1 March 2012.<"Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-09. Retrieved 2015-04-19.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)>
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals - Perambalur(05783)". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Population By Religious Community - Tamil Nadu" (XLS). Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- National Geological Monument, from Geological Survey of India website
- "Geo-Heritage Sites". pib.nic.in. Press Information Bureau. 2016-03-09. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- national geo-heritage of India, INTACH
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 4, 2006. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Perambalur.|