Perambalur is a town in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is the headquarters of Perambalur district and Perambalur taluk (sub-district). Perambalur district is bounded on the North by Cuddalore and Salem, South by Trichy, East by Ariyalur, West by Trichy and Salem. As of 2011[update] census, the town had a population of 49,648. There are a set of 11th century Buddhists images around the villages of Perambalur called Perambalur Buddhas.
Perambalur bus station
|• Type||Second Grade Municipality|
|• Body||Perambalur Municipality|
|Elevation||143 m (469 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
The town covers an area of 20.59 sq.km. Though a landlocked district, fossils of marine species dated 416 million years ago were found near the Kunnam taluk of the district, revealing the fact that the land was part of the ancient sea.
According to 2011 census, Perambalur had a population of 49,648 with a sex-ratio of 1,013 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. A total of 5,190 were under the age of six, constituting 2,678 males and 2,512 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 29.43% and 0.29% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the town was 80.77%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The town had a total of 12,732 households. There were a total of 18,430 workers, comprising 998 cultivators, 1,746 main agricultural labourers, 364 in house hold industries, 13,762 other workers, 1,560 marginal workers, 49 marginal cultivators, 390 marginal agricultural labourers, 78 marginal workers in household industries and 1,043 other marginal workers. As per the religious census of 2011, Perambalur had 86.94% Hindus, 9.29% Muslims, 3.6% Christians, 0.01% Sikhs, 0.01% Buddhists, 0.0% Jains, 0.12% following other religions and 0.03% following no religion or did not indicate any religious preference.
- "Perambalur Municipality - About Municipality". Archived from the original on 17 March 2012. Retrieved 1 March 2012.<"Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 March 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)>
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals - Perambalur(05783)". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Population By Religious Community - Tamil Nadu" (XLS). Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Election Commission of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 May 2006. Retrieved 11 October 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Perambalur.|