Peoples' United Revolutionary Movement
The Peoples' United Revolutionary Movement (Turkish: Halkların Birleşik Devrim Hareketi, HBDH) is an alliance of ten leftist, revolutionary socialist and some communist Turkish and Kurdish organizations in Turkey. The alliance was founded on March 12, 2016, with the goal of overthrowing the Turkish government of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.
|Founded||March 12, 2016|
The alliance chose to declare their founding on March 12 to announce to the world their commitment to the struggle against fascism of the AKP government in Turkey. March 12, 2016, is the 45th anniversary of the 1971 Turkish military memorandum, the 21st anniversary of the Gazi Quarter riots, and the 12th anniversary of the 2004 al-Qamishli riots. All three of these events serve as important reminders to the alliance's mission, "to lead victoriously our struggle for the Revolution, democracy and socialism."
The alliance believes that Erdoğan's party, the Justice and Development Party (AKP), seeks to implement a new fascist dictatorship in Turkey, effectively restoring the fascist dictatorship established on March 12, 1971. Five members of the alliance (TKP/ML, MLKP, TKEP/L, Devrimci Karargâh, and MLSPB) are also members of the International Freedom Battalion, a small group of foreign fighters supporting the Syrian Democratic Forces in the Rojava Revolution.
Principles and ObjectivesEdit
The alliance calls for the destruction of the AKP and its public support along with it. It calls for all victims of the government's terror to organize to overthrow the ruling AKP party. The alliance stresses that the struggle for self-determination of minorities is of the utmost importance, for all peoples oppressed by the government:
If the struggle for Kurdish self-determination is broken, the AKP will start to attack all other opposition forces in Turkey. Consequently, the future of all progressive, revolutionary and working class forces in Turkey is directly tied to the future of the Kurdish resistance.
It is through this message that the alliance calls for the mobilization of a unified popular revolution in order to overthrow the current government. The alliance resists all forms of imperialism, fascism, racism, capitalism, and conservatism on its path to a revolution. They invite "our peoples, our workers, the oppressed, all cultures starting with the Alevis, the women, the youth to join the ranks of the Revolutionary United Movement and to struggle."
- Communist Labour Party of Turkey/Leninist (TKEP/L)
- Communist Party of Turkey/Marxist–Leninist (TKP/ML) (later withdrew)
- Devrimci Karargâh (DK)
- Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK)
- Maoist Communist Party (MKP)
- Marxist–Leninist Communist Party (MLKP)
- People's Liberation Party-Front of Turkey/Marxist–Leninist Armed Propaganda Union (THKP-C/MLSPB)
- Revolutionary Communard Party (DKP)
- Revolutionary Communist League of Turkey (TİKB)
Soon after its formation, the movement began conducting armed operations against the Turkish government. On May 6, 2016, HBDH attacked a Gendarmerie General Command base in Giresun Province in northeastern Turkey. According to news reports, a roadside bomb exploded, targeting a Gendarmerie vehicle. HDBH claimed responsibility for the attack on May 8, stating that three gendarmes died in the attack, as well as the Base Commander, who was the intended target. This was inconsistent with the Odatv release, which reported only 1 casualty.
Since its initial attack, the Joint Command of the Peoples' United Revolutionary Movement has claimed responsibility for several more attacks in the region, primarily targeting Turkish soldiers or gendarmes. The tactics employed by the alliance are very similar to those used by the PKK. The most notable attack came on July 19, just 4 days after the 2016 Turkish coup d'état attempt. HBDH reported that they had killed 11 riot police in Trabzon Province at 08:30 that morning. The HBDH report is consistent in time and location to an attack reported by Doğan News Agency, in which "unknown assailants" fired on a police checkpoint. This report states that 3 officers were killed and 5 were injured, along with a civilian.
- Behdinan (March 12, 2016). "Peoples' United Revolutionary Movement established for a joint struggle". Firat News Agency. Archived from the original on March 14, 2016. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Zeynel, K. (March 16, 2016). "Declaration of the Founding of the Revolutionary United People's Movement". Nouvelle Turquie. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- "STATEMENT OF OUR PARTY, COMMUNIST PARTY OF TURKEY/MARXIST-LENINIST (TKP/ML) … | İşçi Köylü Kurtuluşu". ikk-online.org. Retrieved 2017-12-30.
- "PKK ve 9 örgütün oluşturduğu grup o saldırıyı üstlendi". Odatv.com. May 8, 2016. Retrieved July 26, 2016.
- "HBDH claims responsibility for the action in Giresun". Firat News Agency. May 8, 2016. Retrieved July 26, 2016.
- "HBDH: 11 riot police killed in Trabzon". Firat News Agency. July 21, 2016. Retrieved July 26, 2016.
- "Three police officers killed in attack in Turkey's north". Doğan News Agency. July 19, 2016. Retrieved July 26, 2016.