People's Artist of Ukraine
People's Artist of Ukraine is an honorary and the highest title awarding to outstanding performing artists whose merits are exceptional in the sphere of the development of the performing arts (theatre, music, dance, circus, cinema, etc.).
|People's Artist of Ukraine|
|Type||Order of merit - Honorific title|
|Country||Ukrainian SSR / Ukraine|
Established in 1922 during Soviet times, it was technically called People's Artist of the Ukrainian SSR (Народний артист УРСР). With the establishment of independent Ukraine, this tradition was kept and the title was renamed as People's Artist of Ukraine (Народний артист України).
Its recipients include many of the most highly acclaimed composers, dancers, singers, musicians, film and theatre directors, actors, circus performers, etc.
During Soviet times, a person was usually named People's Artist only after reaching the age of 40. Exceptions were made for ballet artists.
There also is[original research?] another honorary title, the Distinguished Artist of Ukraine («Заслужений артист України»), which is considered less important. Typically, the People's Artist award is given at least 10 years after one has earned the Distinguished Artist of Ukraine award.
List of selected recipientsEdit
People's Painter of UkraineEdit
Just some of those awarded the honorary title in the fields of cinema and theatre are:
- Volodymyr Bortko — film director, screenwriter, actor, producer
- Borislav Brondukov — actor
- Mykola Hrynko — actor
- Kirill Lavrov - actor
- Viktor Stepanov — Soviet, Ukrainian and Russian actor
- Oleh Fialko — Ukrainian film director and screenwriter
- Yuri Ilyenko — Soviet and Ukrainian film director and screenwriter
Some of those awarded the honorary title in the field of dance are:
Some of those awarded the honorary title in the field of music are:
- Ani Lorak- pop singer
- Anatoliy Avdiyevsky - conductor
- Serhiy Bashtan (1995) - bandurist
- Oleksandr Bilash - composer
- Ihor Bilozir - compositor, pop singer
- Oksana Bilozir - pop singer
- Andriy Bobyr - bandurist
- Viktor Hutsal - conductor
- Ivan Kuchuhura Kucherenko (1918) and (1925) - kobzar
- Nina Matviyenko - folk singer
- Romanna Vasylevych - banduristka
- Yuliy Meitus - composer
- Ruslana - pop singer, Eurovision Song Contest winner
- Sofia Rotaru - pop-singer, actress (alto)
- Volodymyr Yesypok (2007) - bandurist
- Taras Petrynenko (1999)
- Jamala (2016) - singer, songwriter, the winner of Eurovision 2016
- Tina Karol (2017) - singer
- Verka Serduchka (2003) - singer, second place on Eurovision Song Contest
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- Philipp Kirkorov - 2008 - singer
- Nikolay Baskov — opera and pop-singer (tenor)
- Sargis Paradzhanov — Soviet, Ukrainian, Armenian and Georgian film director and screenwriter.
- Mikhail Zhvanetsky — writer of comic sketches, among other things
- Hobart Earle - 2013 - American, long-time maestro of the Odessa Philharmonic
- The first laureate of the People's Artist of Ukraine was Maria Zankovetska in 1922. Great Soviet Encyclopedia
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-10-12. Retrieved 2013-08-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- (in Russian) Biography Yuri Ilyenko Archived 2013-05-15 at the Wayback Machine, Korrespondent.net