Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR), established on July 1, 1995, is the agency in the U.S. State of Pennsylvania responsible for maintaining and preserving the state's 121 state parks and 20 state forests; providing information on the state's natural resources; and working with communities to benefit local recreation and natural areas. The agency has its headquarters in the Rachel Carson State Office Building in Harrisburg.
Logo of the DCNR
|Formed||July 1, 1995|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Pennsylvania|
|Headquarters||Rachel Carson State Office Building|
400 Market Street
Current Secretary of Conservation and Natural ResourcesEdit
- Cindy Adams Dunn (Appointed January 2015)
Past Secretaries of Conservation and Natural ResourcesEdit
- Ellen Ferretti (Appointed September 2013)
- John Quigley (Appointed April 2009)
- Michael D. DiBerardinis (Appointed January 2003)
- John C. Oliver (Appointed November 1995)
The DCNR is host to many different environmental education programs throughout the summer months. These range from topics such as "Leave No Trace" hiking/camping policy to the different wildlife and plant species of many of the state parks.
Pennsylvania DCNR rangers act much like National Park Rangers do. They routinely check on cabins and campsites, offer insightful answers to visitors questions, and help to maintain calmness throughout the parks. They have full arrest powers while in park lands and carry side arms. However, they do not have jurisdiction over Pennsylvania State Game Lands, which are patrolled by Wildlife Conservation Officers employed by the Pennsylvania Game Commission. DCNR rangers enforce game laws as well as fishing and boating laws in state parks. However, the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is completely independent of the Pennsylvania Game Commission. Both agencies are independent of DCNR, but work in cooperation with each other.
- Deputy Secretary for Parks and Forestry
- Bureau of State Parks
- Bureau of Forestry
- Deputy Secretary for Conservation and Technical Services
- Deputy Secretary for Administration
- Bureau of Human Resources
- Bureau of Administrative Services
- Bureau of Information Technology
- Office of Policy and Planning
- Office of Education, Communications and Partnerships
- Office of Conservation Science
- Chief Counsel
- Pa. Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources
- "Contact DCNR." Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. Retrieved on October 18, 2010. "Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Rachel Carson State Office Building PO Box 8767 400 Market Street Harrisburg, PA 17105-8767."
- DCNR Bureaus. Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Recreation. Retrieved on 2009-05-31.
- DCNR Organization Chart. Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Recreation. Retrieved on 2009-05-31.
- DCNR Executive Staff. Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Recreation. Retrieved on 2009-05-31.
|This Pennsylvania-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|