Penis reduction or penis reduction surgery refers to efforts or an assortment of techniques intended to decrease the girth or length of the human penis, especially when erect. The motive behind such a procedure can range from complications such as macropenis, genital lymphedema, or sex reassignment. It may also be motivated by the shape or size of the extant penis being unviable for intercourse and the associated social liabilities of having macrophallic penile dimensions. The causes of macrophallism can range from sickle cell disease to priapism. The age range of individuals who have undergone treatment or are purported to have cogitated it vary including a 17 year old, a 52 year old and a 20 year old. The procedure may involve the removal of tissue beneath the skin of the penis, amelioration through simple excision procedures, or antihypertensive medication. Such procedures have been considered by men with partners who have complained about discomfort of thrusts against the cervix, as well as those seeking additional stimulation of the clitoris. In some ancient periods of history, the diminution of penile size was a desired appearance aesthetically, including those observable in surviving works of art, due to an association with unpretentiousness, reticence and timidity; artists also wanted to distance themselves from erotic art's obsession with over-sized genitals.
- University of California (1970). Medical Aspects of Human Sexuality - Volume 4, Issues 7-12. p. 128.
- Liechty, Richard (1989). Fundamentals of surgery. p. 492.
- Torio-Padron, Nestor (2015). "Treatment of male genital lymphedema: An integrated concept". Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery. 68 (2): 262–8. doi:10.1016/j.bjps.2014.10.003. PMID 25456280.
- Jingde, Zhang (2009). Surgical Treatment of Hermaphroditism: Experience With 25 Cases. p. 543.
- Goldwyn, Robert (1990). Reduction Mammaplasty. p. 49.
- Hanson, Hilary (14 February 2015). "Penis Reduction Surgery Performed On Teen With Phallus Measuring 10 Inches Around (GRAPHIC)". Retrieved 31 October 2018 – via Huff Post.
- "Size Matters: Teen Undergoes 'World's First' Penis Reduction Surgery To Have Sex". 12 February 2015. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
- "A Kenyan man cannot have sex because his penis is 'too big'". 4 September 2016. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
- "I can't have sex because my penis is the size of a baby". 3 September 2016. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
- "USF performs first penis reduction". The Oracle. 2015-02-17. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
- Hallett, John (2009). Comprehensive Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. p. 871.
- Mostafa, Taymour. "Precocious puberty: a question to be answered." Human Andrology 6.2 (2016): 31-37, APA
- Fisher, William A., Nyla R. Branscombe, and Charles R. Lemery. "The bigger the better? Arousal and attributional responses to erotic stimuli that depict different size penises." Journal of Sex Research 19.4 (1983): 377-396.
- Wallen, Kim, and Elisabeth A. Lloyd. "Female sexual arousal: Genital anatomy and orgasm in intercourse." Hormones and behavior 59.5 (2011): 780-792.
- Reid, Heather (2012). Athletic beauty in classical Greece: A philosophical view. p. 281.