Pelle Pelle is an urban fashion brand designed by Marc Buchanan. Pelle Pelle was launched in 1978 and started as a leather outerwear company. The brand was also the first brand to launch the designer baggy pants. Pelle is based in Auburn Hills, Michigan.
Type of site
|Headquarters||Detroit, Michigan, United States|
|Key people||Marc Buchanan (founder)|
|Products||Apparel and Accessories|
The company was recently asked by some founders of hip-hop, Furious Five and Grandmaster Flash to create a leather jacket for them to wear that was studded when they were inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. This brand is also seen in Notorious, a 2009 motion picture that chronicles the life of rap artist Biggie Smalls.
Pelle Pelle is an urban fashion brand which originated in the 1970s, when the hip-hop era emerged. A revolution in fashion took the form of comfort in baggy pants and loose clothing for MCs and breakdancers. Designer Marc Buchanan specialized in creating brightly colored, highly embellished leather jackets, and branched out to sportswear and other outerwear.
In 2003, Pelle Pelle was fined $40,000 by the Federal Trade Commission for placing inaccurate labels on several types of men's pants and jackets. The clothes were labeled as machine washable; however, the garments were damaged when washed.
Pelle Pelle Product LinesEdit
Pelle Pelle leather jackets include a light leather jacket for spring or a heavy one for winter. Most jackets have fur trimmings. Bomber jackets made of leather are available in adult as well as children's sizes.
The company specializes in blending urban gear with street clothes. In 1978, this clothing line catered to only men but is now producing clothing for teenagers and women, as well.
Pelle Pelle launched its handbag line in fall 2009.
Many celebrities have worn Pelle Pelle, such as 50 Cent, G Unit, Dr. Dre, Young Dre The Truth, Ludacris, NFL Player Marques Colston, Usher, Dru Hill, Bobby Brown, Fat Joe, and more recently Mario.
In the Cheers episode "I'm Ok, You're Defective" (air date December 5, 1991), Ted Danson (portraying Sam Malone) prominently wore a Pelle Pelle bomber jacket throughout the latter half of the show.
In The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air episode "Just Infatuation" (air date April 29, 1991), Will Smith (portraying a fictionalized version of himself) wore a Pelle Pelle jacket which is visible at the end of the episode, as Ashley Banks (portrayed by Tatyana M. Ali) is adjusting her hair.
On January 10, 2009, R&B singer Mario ventured to be the face of Pelle Pelle's European Spring/Summer 2009 campaign with various press shots for the campaign running throughout the next few months.
On June 9, 2014 Lil Scrappy was shown wearing a Pelle Pelle jacket on an episode of "Love And Hip-Hop Atlanta"
WWE Superstar and Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels wore a Pelle Pelle soda club jacket at the October 1995 WWE(WWF at the time) pay per view, In Your House 4, when he was forced to surrender the Intercontinental title due to injuries he suffered from a real life assault days earlier outside a nightclub in Syracuse, New York.
- "PellePelle.com". Alexa. Retrieved September 29, 2010.
- Givhan, Robin (1999-07-30). "Menswear Hip-Hops Into Spring; Bright Colors and Loose Fit Shake Up The Suit Set". Washington Post. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- "The Denim Directory (Part 4)". Daily News Record. 2006-08-14. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- "Parties, labels, collections". Der Tagesspiegel (in German). 2007-01-26. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- Pallay, Jessica (2008-03-10). "Urban Legend; Pelle Pelle Has Been Streetwear's Leather Leader for Three Decades Strong". Daily News Record. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- "Pelle Pelle Makes the Move". Women's Wear Daily. 2001-02-01. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- "Pelle Fined for Improper Labels". Consumer Affairs. 2003-02-04. Archived from the original on 21 October 2007. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- "Pelle Pelle's 30th Anniversary Party". Socially Superlative. Archived from the original on July 16, 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- Gill, John (2000-02-04). "Mary J., Chilli, Rakim, Others Come Out For Fashion Week". MTV. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- "Cheers episode #232 "I'm Ok, You're Defective"". Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - S1 E24 - Just Infatuation". Retrieved 21 March 2017.