Pedro Menendez High School
Pedro Menendez High School is a public high school in the St. Johns County School District, located in southern St. Johns County, Florida (United States). It was named for Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, a sixteenth-century Spanish admiral and pirate hunter who founded St. Augustine, the first permanent European settlement and oldest port city in what is now the continental United States, on August 28, 1565.
|Pedro Menendez High School|
Pedro Menendez High School crest
|600 State Road 206 West.
St. Augustine, Florida 32086
|Motto||Latin: Non scholae, sed vitae discimus.
(Not for school, but for life, we learn.)
|School district||St. Johns County School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Joseph G. Joyner|
|Dean||Yanetta Arnold, Patrick Turner|
|Principal||Dr. Clay Carmichael|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Hours in school day||9:15 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.|
|Campus size||100 acres (0.40 km2)|
|School colour(s)||Royal Blue █ and Vegas Gold █|
|Rival||St. Augustine High School|
It has a student body of over 1,300 students. The school building is a two-story octagon with an open courtyard in the center. The gymnasium and auditorium are attached on the east and west sides, respectively. The school was built simultaneously with Bartram Trail High School; Menendez was intended to relieve overcrowding at St. Augustine High School. The school opened August 28, 2000, and graduated its first class in 2001.
The Advanced Scholars program gives students the option to participate in the rigorous programs of advanced placement, dual enrollment and honors courses. After two years of preliminary work, the school was approved for the International Baccalaureate Program, beginning in the Fall of 2010.
- "School Improvement Plan" (PDF). 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-03-28. Retrieved 2008-03-11.
- ""School Accountability Reports" at schoolgrades.fldoe.org".
- "Pedro Menendez High School". Retrieved September 24, 2017.
- "Bell Schedule". pmhs.stjohns.k12.fl.us. Retrieved 2008-03-04.[dead link]
- Donovan, Norma: "Perspective: Ponte Vedra high school issue like growing ivy" St. Augustine Record, July 9, 2004
- Miller, Josh:"Learning Legacy: A brief history of Pedro Menendez High School" Archived March 4, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. St. Augustine Record, December 21, 2001
- "Construction career pathway open house planned at Menendez" Archived March 4, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. St. Augustine Record, November 15, 2003
- Pounder, Lory: "Menendez classes open new career paths" Archived March 4, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. St. Augustine Record, December 6, 2003