Paulo Jorge (footballer, born 1981)
|Full name||Paulo Jorge Vieira Alves|
|Date of birth||5 May 1981|
|Place of birth||Maia, Portugal|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
|2000–2002||→ Pedrouços (loan)|
|2002–2003||→ Infesta (loan)||33||(2)|
|2007–2008||→ Málaga (loan)||32||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
He amassed Primeira Liga seasons of 103 games and six goals during six seasons, representing in the competition Boavista, Benfica, Marítimo, Gil Vicente and Belenenses. He also played professionally in Spain and Saudi Arabia.
Paulo Jorge was born in Maia, Porto District. After six seasons in the second division with F.C. Maia (this included loan spells in the lower leagues with Pedrouços A.C. and FC Infesta), he joined Boavista F.C. for 2005–06.
After a solid Primeira Liga spell at the latter, where he scored seven goals across all competitions, clubs like Valencia CF and PSV Eindhoven showed interest in acquiring Paulo Jorge's services but, after turning down an offer from champions FC Porto, he signed for S.L. Benfica in July 2006. In his first game with the Lisbon team, he netted their only goal against AEK Athens F.C. in a pre-season 1–3 defeat, after which he started in UEFA Champions League matches against FK Austria Wien and F.C. Copenhagen, the latter in the group stage.
However, after having appeared sparingly during the league campaign, Paulo Jorge was loaned to Spanish side Málaga CF, which achieved La Liga promotion in 2008. He shared teams with countrymen Eliseu and Hélder Rosário during his stint.
In mid-July 2008, Paulo Jorge was definitely sold and joined fellow league club C.S. Marítimo in Madeira. He scored his first official goal on 4 January 2009 during a 4–1 home win against F.C. Paços de Ferreira, and spent most of the season as a right back.
- Paulo Jorge joins Benfica influx; UEFA, 5 July 2006
- København make their point; UEFA, 13 September 2006
- "Eliseu, el diamante creativo del Málaga convertido en roca defensive" [Eliseu, Málaga's creative diamond converted in defensive rock] (in Spanish). Goal. 24 October 2012. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Marítimo bring in Benfica trio; UEFA, 16 July 2008
- "Marítimo goleia Paços" [Marítimo rout Paços] (in Portuguese). Rádio e Televisão de Portugal. 4 January 2009. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- "Paulo Jorge: "Vão ter de acreditar"" [Paulo Jorge: «They'll have to believe»]. Record (in Portuguese). 3 May 2010. Retrieved 15 November 2017.