Michael Paulo Lingbanan Avelino (born May 13, 1988) is a Filipino actor, model, singer, and television presenter. He is known for his roles in Walang Hanggan, Honesto, Bridges of Love and Goyo: Ang Batang Heneral (as Gregorio del Pilar).
Michael Paulo Lingbanan Avelino
May 13, 1988
|Education||Saint Louis University|
|Agent||GMA Artist Center|
|Labels||Universal Records (2012)|
Avelino was born on May 13, 1988 in Baguio City, Philippines, as Michael Paulo Lingbanan Avelino. He is the son of Roberto Puigcerver Avelino, an influential Spanish-Filipino from Calbayog City, Western Samar, and Jennilyn Lingbanan. He is a grandson of Baltazar Avelino, former governor of Samar, and a great-grandson of former Senate President Jose Avelino. He has three siblings, Honey, Gabriel, and Angela. He is the second oldest of his siblings.
2006–10: Early careerEdit
Avelino began his career after appearing on the GMA Network reality talent show StarStruck in 2006. After being eliminated from the show, he signed an exclusive contract with GMA and played various supporting roles for the network. He appeared in the Black Jewel in the Palace episode of Magic Kamison in 2007 and had minor roles in two series, Sine Novela and Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan. The StarStruck 4 cast were then given a show titled Boys Nxt Door, an award-winning youth-oriented situation comedy, in which Avelino played Peter. This series premiered in 2007 and ran for 31 episodes.
In 2008, he appeared in a supporting role in Babangon Ako't Dudurugin Kita, a remake of the 1989 movie of the same title redeveloped by Don Michael Perez and produced by GMA Network. He had roles in an afternoon series, Gaano Kadalas ang Minsan, and in a primetime series, Luna Mystika. He also made his debut on film, in Desperadas 2, a Metro Manila Film Festival entry from Regal Films.
In 2009, Avelino started a regular stint in GMA's variety show SOP Rules and landed major roles in two series starring Kris Bernal and Aljur Abrenica, fellow Starstruck 4 alumni: Dapat Ka Bang Mahalin? and All My Life. He was also cast as Robert in a GMA Films-VIVA Films project, Patient X and as Pepe in a Filipino action fantasy film, Ang Panday. In 2010, he appeared in a supporting role in a primetime series Ilumina, and replaced JC de Vera for a lead role in the fantasy series Panday Kids. His last performance for GMA Network was a lead role in the afternoon fantasy-drama Alakdana, with Louise delos Reyes and Alden Richards.
2011–12: Move to ABS-CBN and first starring rolesEdit
In mid-2011, Avelino transferred to ABS-CBN, known as the Kapamilya network. He told ABS-CBN News that he wanted to get out of his comfort zone and, at the same time, reinvent himself as an actor. His first project as a Kapamilya actor was in a lead role alongside Lovi Poe on Regal Films' Aswang. He also participated in Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow, an entry to the 2011 Metro Manila Film Festival. He appeared for the first time in an ABS-CBN show through a guest role in 100 Days to Heaven, where he took the role of a rich executive named Teddy Ledesma, alongside veteran actor Phillip Salvador. He also appeared in Wansapanataym, Maalaala Mo Kaya and Ikaw Ay Pag-Ibig.
Avelino played the role of a bisexual in the 2011 Cinemalaya film Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa alongside Rocco Nacino, winning Best Actor at the Gawad Urian Awards, his first award. He characterized the script of the film as "really different", offering the potential for an interesting role. In 2012, Avelino played Nathan Montenegro in the hit primetime series Walang Hanggan, alongside Coco Martin and Julia Montes. He commented in an interview that he learned a lot from watching Martin act. He co-starred in the "Lost Command" episode of the horror trilogy Shake, Rattle & Roll 14 produced by Regal Films, an entry in the 2012 Metro Manila Film Festival.
In parallel with his acting career, Avelino began to work on musical projects, beginning with a single, a cover of Restless Heart's "When She Cries". His first album, Paulo Avelino, was released by Universal Records on October 1, 2012. It comprises six covers of OPM classic hits, plus instrumental versions of each track. Avelino released a music video for his second single, a cover of Alamid's "Your Love".
2013–present: Recent projectsEdit
2013: Avelino's drama series roles included the pre-primetime series Kahit Konting Pagtingin, with Angeline Quinto and Sam Milby; two Maalaala Mo Kaya episodes: "Notbook" and "Mask"; and the family drama series Honesto, where he reunited with his Walang Hanggan co-stars Melissa Ricks and Noni Buencamino.
His film roles included two independent films for Cinemalaya: Debosyon, directed by Alvin Yapan, and Sana Dati, directed by Jerrold Tarog. He starred with Lovi Poe and Jennylyn Mercado in a highly charged erotic-drama romantic comedy film directed by Joel Lamangan, The Bride and the Lover. He also appeared on a romantic-comedy film directed by Chris Martinez titled Status: It's Complicated, with Jake Cuenca, Solenn Heussaff, Maja Salvador, and veteran comedian Eugene Domingo. The movie is a remake of the 1979 classic comedy film Salawahan, directed by Ishmael Bernal.
|Paulo Avelino (EP)|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Year||Award Giving Body||Category||Work||Result(s)|
|2012||35th Gawad Urian Awards||Best Actor (Pinakamahusay na Pangunahing Aktor)||Ang Sayaw ng Dalawang Kaliwang Paa||Won|
|ENPRESS Golden Screen Awards||Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role (Drama)||Nominated|
|14th Gawad PASADO Awards||PinakaPASADOng Katuwang na Aktor (Best Supporting Actor)||Won|
|ASAP Pop Viewer's Choice Awards||Pop Kapamilya TV Character||Nathan Montenegro (Walang Hanggan)||Nominated|
|2013||10th Golden Screen Awards||Outstanding Supporting Actor||Walang Hanggan||Won|
|Anak TV Seal Awards||Most Admired Male Personality In Philippine TV||Honesto||Won|
|2014||Star Magic Ball 2014||Best Dressed||Himself||Won|
|ASAP Pop Viewer's Choice Awards||Pop Kapamilya TV Character||Patrick Salvador (Sana Bukas Pa Ang Kahapon)||Nominated|
|2015||6th ENPRESS Golden Screen TV Awards||Best Performance by an Actor in a Drama Program||Sana Bukas Pa Ang Kahapon||Nominated|
|1st GIC Innovative Awards for TV||Most Innovative TV Actor 2015||Bridges Of Love||Won|
|29th PMPC Star Awards for TV||Best Drama Actor||Bridges Of Love||Nominated|
|Philippines Edition Networks 4th Readers Choice Movie 2015||Best Supporting Movie Actor||Heneral Luna||Won|
|2016||14th Gawad Tanglaw Award for TV||Best Actor||Bridges Of Love||Won|
|2017||19th Gawad PASADO Awards||PinakaPASADOng Katuwang na Aktor (Best Supporting Actor)||The Unmarried Wife||Won|
|65th FAMAS Awards||Best Supporting Actor||The Unmarried Wife||Nominated|
|2018||Guild of Educators,Mentors and Students Awards (G.E.M.S.)||Best Supporting Actor||Ang Larawan||Won|
|RAWR Awards 2018 - LionhearTV||Outstanding Actor of the Year||Asintado & Goyo: Ang Batang Heneral||Won|
|2019||Guild of Educators,Mentors and Students Awards (G.E.M.S.)||Best Actor||Kasal||Nominated|
|20th Gawad PASADO Awards||PinakaPASADOng Aktor (Best Actor)||Kasal||Won|
- Paulo Avelino - Kapamilya Star, Biography Archived 2013-04-09 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 11-11-2013
- Guno, Niña V. "LOOK: Paulo Avelino, GF Jodie Tarasek mark 2nd anniversary". entertainment.inquirer.net. Retrieved 2019-11-29.
- StarStruck alumnus Paulo Avelino transfers to Kapamilya network by Elli Alipio posted on August 16, 2011.
- Erece, Dinno. "GMA-7 acquires exclusive rights to "Shaider"". PEP.ph. Archived from the original on 27 August 2007. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Erece, Dino. ""The Boys Next Door" premieres on May 27". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Babangon ako't dudurugin kita (2008– )". IMDb. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Erece, Dinno. "Friendship of Lovi Poe and Glaiza de Castro reportedly affected by their onscreen rivalry". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- ""Luna Mystika" airs starting Nov 17". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Luna Mystika (2008– ) Full Cast & Crew". IMDB. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Dapat ka bang mahalin? (2009– )". IMDb. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "All My Life (2009– )". IMDb. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Kris Bernal, Aljur Abrenica to star in a primetime soap". GMA Network. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Patient X". Film Biz Asia. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Teodoro, J.I. "Ang Panday 2: A timely preachy movie". GMA Network. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "GMA's Ilumina". GMA Network. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Calderon, Nora. "Paulo Avelino last to know he replaced JC de Vera in Panday Kids". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Paulino, Ver (2 June 2010). "Panday Kids: Final showdown". Philippine Star. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Anarcon, James Patrick (August 1, 2017). "15 StarStruck graduates who transferred to ABS-CBN". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2019-11-29.
- Aljur Abrenica surprised by StarStruck batchmate Paulo Avelino's decision to move to ABS-CBN Rommel Gonzales, PEP.ph.
- "Lovi Poe is torn between man (Paulo Avelino) and beast (Joem Bascon) in Aswang". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow' power cast". Tempo. 9 December 2011. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Limjap, Ria. "What We Do For Love: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow". SPOT.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Vibas, Danny (7 October 2011). "'100 Days To Heaven' bumaba ang ratings dahil kay Paulo Avelino". Remate. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino played an executive in 100 Days to Heaven". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Jarloc, Glaiza (22 September 2011). "New stars to grace '100 Days to Heaven'". SunStar. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Maalaala mo kaya Liham (22 Oct. 2011)". IMDb. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- GMA 'Starstruck' finalist Paulo Avelino now with ABS-CBN By Chuck Smith and Karen Valeza, Yahoo! Philippines.
- Ching, Mark Angelo. "35th Gawad Urian winners honored; Maja Salvador and Paulo Avelino win top acting honors". PEP.ph. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Manuel, Maureen (2 May 2013). "Behind his 'bad boy' image, Paulo Avelino reveals a true passion for his craft". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "'Walang Hanggan' finale scores all-time high rating". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino: I learn from Coco Martin". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Ching, Mark Angelo. "MMFF REVIEW: Shake Rattle and Roll 14". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino finds horror more challenging". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino turns singer, launches CD". ABS-CBNnews.com. Oct 2, 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino -EP". iTunes. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Paulo Avelino releases new music video". abs-cbnnews.com. December 5, 2012.
- "Angeline Quinto to be paired with Sam Milby and Paulo Avelino in her first teleserye". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Angel Locsin and Paolo Avelino team up for the first time on "MMK"". ABS-CBN. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Simeon, Francis. "Angel Locsin at Paulo Avelino, natuloy rin ang pagsasama". PinoyParazzi. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Alno, Nerissa. "Paulo Avelino, Maricar Reyes, and new child star Raikko Mateo uphold honesty in Honesto". PEP.ph. Archived from the original on 31 October 2013. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Aquino, Tricia. "Paulo Avelino-starrer 'Debosyon' reveals tempting poster". InterAksyon. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Dumaual, Miguel. "What's next for Paulo Avelino". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "'The Bride and the Lover' hard to pin down". SunStar. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Solenn works with Maja and Jake new movie". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Marasigan, Zia. "'Status: It's Complicated:' A Joke Worth Repeating". Rappler. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Almo, Nerissa. "Paulo Avelino's camp says actor's reported suicide attempt is "fabricated"". PEP.ph. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Macahindog, Jecelyn (26 September 2013). "Manager denies Paulo Avelino's alleged suicide attempt". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Cruz, Marinel. "LJ Reyes: Paulo is a good dad to our son". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
- "Gary Valenciano: Live @ 25 in Guam!". Pep.ph. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- "Paulo, Maja to reunite for a new project soon". ABS-CBNnews.com. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Ang Larawan". Anglarawan.com. Retrieved 2017-11-27.
- "Paulo Avelino - EP". iTunes.com. October 1, 2012.
- "PARI: Articles". Pari.com.ph. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- "35th Gawad Urian winners honored; Maja Salvador and Paulo Avelino win top acting honors". Pep.ph. Retrieved 30 August 2019.