Paul Franklin (visual effects supervisor)
Paul J. Franklin is an English visual effects supervisor who has worked with visual effects since the 1990s. Franklin won the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects and the BAFTA Award for Best Special Visual Effects for Inception (2010), and won a second Academy Award for Best Visual Effects for Interstellar (2014). He shared the wins with Andrew Lockley, Peter Bebb, and Chris Corbould. Franklin has also been nominated for an Academy Award for The Dark Knight (2008). He was nominated for BAFTA Awards for Batman Begins, The Dark Knight (2008), and The Dark Knight Rises (2012).
Franklin was born in Cheshire, England. He was educated at Sandbach School in Cheshire from 1978–1985. He attended the Cheshire School of Art and Design for a year and changed to the Ruskin School of Art in Oxford to study fine art. At Oxford, he made his first films and combined graphics with animation. He graduated in 1989. He worked two jobs as a videotape editor and then began a career in computer graphics and animation at Psygnosis (now SCE Studio Liverpool) in the early 1990s. He eventually helped found the visual effects company Double Negative in 1998 with financing from PolyGram Filmed Entertainment. He headed the 3D effects for Double Negative's first film Pitch Black (2000).
Franklin was an undergraduate external examiner at Bournemouth University for 4 or 5 years and also gave visiting practitioner lectures at BU's Media School. In 2012, Franklin received an honorary degree from Bournemouth.
Franklin worked on the following films as visual effects supervisor:
- "Academy Awards Database". oscars.org. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on September 21, 2008. Retrieved August 14, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Search Results". bafta.org. British Academy of Film and Television Arts. Archived from the original on March 27, 2014. Retrieved August 14, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Reed, Becky (September 17, 2010). "Interview: Inception VFX Supervisor Paul Franklin". DIY. Retrieved September 9, 2014.
- UPDATED Former Students News March 2015, retrieved June 27, 2015
- "Ruskin Alumni BAFTA + 2015 Oscar Winner". www.ruskin.ox.ac.uk. Accessed 30 March 2019.
- "Paul Franklin Citation" (PDF). bournemouth.ac.uk. Bournemouth University. Retrieved September 9, 2014.
- Frazer, Bryant (February 3, 2011). "VFX Supervisor Paul Franklin Talks Ingenuity and Inception". Studio Daily. Retrieved September 9, 2014.
- Staff (March 2, 2011). "Oscar & BAFTA win for Paul Franklin". media.bournemouth.ac.uk. Bournemouth University. Archived from the original on September 10, 2014. Retrieved September 9, 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Staff (November 9, 2012). "Visual effects supervisor says Bournemouth University (BU) Honorary Doctorate 'more special' than winning an Oscar". bournemouth.ac.uk. Bournemouth University. Retrieved September 9, 2014.