Patrick Barry (bishop)
Barry was born in County Clare, Ireland, one of 18 children of Michael and Catherine (née Dixon) Barry. After attending national school, he enrolled at Mungret College in Limerick in 1887, taking exams in the Royal University of Ireland from which he graduated. In 1890, he began his studies for the priesthood at St. Patrick's College in Carlow. As a seminarian, he was recruited to serve the missions in Florida in the United States.
Barry was ordained a priest June 9, 1895. Soon afterwards, he went to the Diocese of St. Augustine, where he served as a curate at Immaculate Conception Church in Jacksonville. He worked as a chaplain during the Spanish–American War. He was pastor of St. Monica's Church in Palatka (1903–13), and rector of St. Augustine's Cathedral and vicar general of the diocese (1917–21).
On February 22, 1922, Barry was appointed the fifth Bishop of St. Augustine by Pope Pius XI. He received his episcopal consecration on the following May 3 from Archbishop Michael Joseph Curley, with Bishops John J. Monaghan and William Turner serving as co-consecrators. In 1931, he instituted an annual pilgrimage to the shrine of Nuestra Señora de la Leche at the Mission Nombre de Dios in order to draw attention to the long Catholic heritage of the Catholic Church in St. Augustine. In June 1932 he sailed with New York’s Cardinal Patrick Hayes to attend the World Eucharistic Congress in Dublin, Ireland. In 1940, he founded Barry University in Miami Shores along with his sister, Mother M. Gerald Barry, and his brother, Father William Barry.
He died from a heart ailment at St. Vincent's Hospital in Jacksonville, at age 71.
- The History of Florida: Past & Present https://web.archive.org/web/20110107101322/http://files.usgwarchives.org/fl/flagler/bios/b6000001.txt. Archived from the original on 2011-01-07. Missing or empty
- McDonnell, John Hugh (1922). The Catholic Hierarchy of the United States, 1790-1922. IV. Washington, D.C.: Catholic University of America.
- "The Former Bishops of the Diocese of Saint Augustine". Roman Catholic Diocese of St. Augustine.
- "Bishop Patrick Joseph Barry". Catholic-Hierarchy.org. David M. Cheney. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "REV. PATRICK BARRY, BISHOP IN FLORIDA, 71; Head of St. Augustine Roman Catholic Diocese Dies". The New York Times. 1940-08-14.
- "History". Barry University.
|Catholic Church titles|
Michael Joseph Curley
| Bishop of St. Augustine
Joseph Patrick Hurley