Patient under investigation
A patient under investigation (or a person under investigation) refers to a person who had been in close contact with a person with confirmed infection or/and may have been to place where there is an outbreak. This person exhibits the symptoms of the disease and is required to be tested, and undergo a quarantine or isolation while waiting for the laboratory results. It is a term used by health care workers in classifying patients during evaluation and testing in times of infectious disease outbreaks.
- Disease surveillance – Monitoring spread of disease to establish patterns of progression
- Infection control
- Pandemic prevention – The organization and management of preventive measures against pandemics
- Social distancing – Infection control technique
- Transmission – Passing of a pathogen from one organism to another
- Triage – The process of determining the priority of patients' treatments based on the severity of their condition
- "CDC Broadens 'Person Under Investigation' Definition for COVID-19".
- "Guidelines for Evaluating and Testing for COVID-19 Coronavirus (CDC)". MedicineNet. 26 March 2020.
- "Pimentel to DOJ: I was not a PUI when I went to Makati Med". Rappler. Retrieved 2020-07-18.
- Modesto, Catherine (20 March 2020). "How COVID-19 testing is conducted in PH". CNN Philippines.
- "Center for Disease Control Patient Under Investigation Definition". Military Health System.
- Salameda, Austin (24 March 2020). "The CoviD 19 Saga: PUM vs PUI, what's in a Word?". Digital News Exchange.
- "Evaluating and Testing Persons for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)". Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- "Interim Guidance for Healthcare Professionals". Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's When Caring for Patients Under Investigation (PUIs) or Patients with Confirmed Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Human Infection with 2019 Novel Coronavirus Person Under Investigation (PUI) and Case Report Form
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Evaluating and Testing Persons for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Illinois Department of Public Health's Case Definitions for MERS-CoV Patient Under Investigation (PUI)
- Eurosurveillance's Differential diagnosis of illness in patients under investigation for the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), Italy, February 2020