Patiala House (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Nikkhil Advani|
Anvita Dutt Guptan
|Edited by||Manan Sagar|
|Budget||₹26 crore (US$3.9 million)|
|Box office||₹35.3 crore (US$5.3 million)|
Patiala House is a 2011 Indian sports drama film directed by Nikkhil Advani and starring Rishi Kapoor, Dimple Kapadia, Akshay Kumar and Anushka Sharma in the lead roles. It was produced by Bhushan Kumar, Mukesh Talreja, Krishan Kumar and Twinkle Khanna under the banner of People Tree Films, Credence Motion Pictures and Hari Om Entertainment. The film released on 11 February 2011. The theatrical trailer of was premièred with Farah Khan's Tees Maar Khan on 24 December 2010. Akshay Kumar plays the role of a fast bowler, loosely based upon Monty Panesar and its concept was conceived by Rahul Nanda, son of writer Gulshan Nanda.
The movie is about Parghat Singh Kahlon alias Gattu / Kaali (Akshay Kumar) who is living the life his father Gurtej Singh Kahlon (Rishi Kapoor) chose for him. Gattu had been good at cricket and wanted to play for England though his dad would never let him become a member of the England team. His dad had told him if he played he would commit suicide. His siblings hated him as he was an exemplary in the house. He was always alone until Zeeshan and Simran (Anushka Sharma) come into his life.
In the present day, Gattu gets another chance to fulfil his dream and Simran and his siblings convince him to give it a shot. If he gets on the team, their father might be able to realise that the world isn't as racist as it used to be. As he gets on the team, they hide the fact that Gattu is on the team but their father eventually finds out. Seeing his son on a team he despises gives him a heart attack and he ends up in the Emergency Room. Gattu plays cricket anyway for his siblings. He is deeply hurt to be disgraced by his father but he also loves cricket and hopes to change his father.
The people of Southall all come together and try to convince Gurtej that it is okay to be a cricket player for England. He locks himself inside the house where his wife tells him that she has never acted as a mother, only as a wife and often forgot she was both. She turns on the T.V. wanting to see her son fulfil his dream. Gurtej watches with her and realises how badly he had treated his son. The family comes back in the house and Gurtej requests for one of them to drive him to the stadium. Gattu is playing poorly because he is so upset that his father disgraced him. Only at the last ball of the game, Gattu manages to win the championship for England. His father compares his bowling to Late Lala Amarnath. His father apologises to him and Gattu's siblings are now able to follow their dreams.
- Rishi Kapoor as Gurtej Singh Kahlon (Bauji)
- Dimple Kapadia as Mrs. Kahlon (Bebe)
- Akshay Kumar as Parghat Singh Kahlon (Gattu)/Kaali
- Anushka Sharma as Simran Chaggal
- Soni Razdan as Dimple Bua
- Neelu Kohli as Harleen Chachi
- Hard Kaur as Komal Chatwal
- Tinu Anand as Mr. Bedi, Selector #1
- Nasser Hussain as Himself, Selector #2
- Andrew Symonds as Himself
- Kieron Pollard as Himself
- Sanjay Manjrekar Himself
- Kumud Mishra as Young Gurtej Singh Kahlon (Voice over by Rishi Kapoor)
- Shaun Tait as himself
The film met with mixed reviews. At one end of the scale, Kunal Guha of Yahoo! Movies and Rajeev Masand of CNN IBN gave the film 1.5/5 stars, with Masand arguing that Patiala House was "lacking subtleties and nuances" that could have made it truly heartfelt. Similarly, Mayank Shankar of Hindustan Times gave the movie 2/5, and Sonia Chopra of Sify awarded the movie 3/5 stars and described it as "predictable". A similar score was awarded by Anupama Chopra of NDTV who also gave it 3.5/5 stars but the reviewer described it as the "best work director Nikhil Advani and Akshay Kumar have done in recent years" and argued that the movie "never soars but it is a notch better than the mediocre fare that we see every week."
Countering these, more positive reviews came from other sources. Aniruddha Guha from Daily News and Analysis and Sukanya Verma from Rediff Movies each awarded it 3 stars out of five, with Verma acknowledging Akshay's role: "Patiala House rests on Akshay's restraint and valiant performance". Smriti Sharma of India Today gave it 3.5/5 stars, describing it as an emotional journey, and Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama awarded the film four stars, concluding that the "hallmark" of the film was the "merging of its engaging drama with cricket" and describing it as a "compelling watch".
On the review aggregator website ReviewGang, Patiala House has received a score of 8.5/10 from 21 users. On IMDB.com, the film has also received a mediocre rating average of 5.5/10 from over 1000 users.
|Soundtrack album by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy|
|Released||11 February 2011|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1.||"Laung Da Lashkara"||Jasbir Jassi, Mahalakshmi Iyer, Hard Kaur||5:07|
|2.||"Kyun Main Jagoon"||Shafqat Amanat Ali||5:45|
|3.||"Rola Pe Gaya"||Shankar Mahadevan, Mahalakshmi Iyer, Hard Kaur, Earl, Master Saleem||4:31|
|4.||"Aadat Hai Woh"||Vishal Dadlani||4:21|
|5.||"Baby When You Talk To Me"||Suraj Jagan, Alyssa Mendonsa||4:28|
|6.||"Tumba Tumba"||Hans Raj Hans||3:01|
|7.||"Aval Allah"||Richa Sharma||2:30|
|8.||"Kyun Main Jaagoon ( Unplugged )"||Shafqat Amanat Ali||4:11|
|9.||"Kyun Main Jagoon ( Remix )"||Shafqat Amanat Ali||2:27|
|10.||"Role Pe Gaya ( Remix )"||Shankar Mahadevan, Mahalakshmi Iyer, Hard Kaur, Earl, Master Saleem||2:48|
|11.||"Baby When You Talk To Me ( Remix )"||Suraj Jagan, Alyssa Mendonsa||2:07|
|12.||"Laung Da Lashkara ( Remix )"||Jasbir Jassi, Mahalakshmi Iyer, Hard Kaur||2:51|
The album received positive reviews upon release. Joginder Tuteja of Bollywood Hungama gave the soundtrack 4 out of 5 stars, saying "Patiala House delivers more than what one expected from the album.[..]it is obvious that listeners could well be picking up the first popular album of the new decade in the Millennium." Rediff in a 3.5 star review said: "Akshay Kumar-Anushka Sharma starrer Patiala House is S-E-L's first release of the year, and it's good news for everyone concerned. You won't feel cheated for having brought an original copy of this CD."
- "Patiala House Movie Details". PVR Cinemas. 13 February 2011. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- 109"Akshay: I just want to offer good cinema". Rediff. 10 January 2011. Retrieved 26 March 2011.
- "2011 Worldwide Figures: Twenty Films Cross 50 Crore". Box office India. Archived from the original on 19 April 2012. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Patiala House: Complete Cast & Crew Details". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Murzella, Clayton (5 April 2010). "Cricketer Balwinder Singh Sandhu is teaching Akshay to bowl". Mid-Day. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- "Looking for a full house in Patiala". Times of India. 9 February 2011. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- "Rishi, Dimple pair up again". DNA. 4 November 2009.
- "Akki and Anushka's dinner date". starboxoffice. 2009. Archived from the original on 11 September 2012.
- Masand, Rajeev (12 February 2011). "Masand: 'Patiala House' lacks subtleties, nuances". CNN IBN. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Guha, Aniruddha (11 February 2011). "Review: Watch Patiala House if melodrama is your thing". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Shankar, Mayank (13 February 2011). "Patiala House : Movie Review". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 13 February 2011. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Chopra, Sonia (11 February 2011). "Patiala House review: A redundant story". Sify. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Chopra, Anupama (11 February 2011). "Review: Patiala House". NDTV. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Verma, Sukanya (11 February 2011). "Bend it like Akshay". Rediff Movies. Rediff. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Adarsh, Taran (10 February 2011). "Patiala House: Movie Review". Bollywood Hungama. Bollywoodhungama. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Patiala House Movie Review Archived 29 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- Patiala House (2011) - User ratings
- "Patiala House : Music Review by Joginder Tuteja". Bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 2011-06-15.
- "Review: Patiala House music is quite good – Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 10 January 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-15.