Pashto Academy (Pashto: پښتو اکېډمي) is a language regulatory institution based at the University of Peshawar in Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan responsible for the standardisation, advancement, and promotion of Pashto language. It was established in 1955 with the support of the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, with Maulana Abdul Qadir serving as its first director. It is a research and publication institution with a focus on Pashto linguistic development and research. Areas studied and researched by the academy include Pashtun culture, literature, history, and the arts.
Since its inception, the Pashto Academy has produced over 500 publications in Pashto, which include classical texts, modern literature, critical literature, scientific works, translations, Pashto lexicon, research publications, booklets, and journals. The academy maintains a library which is host to a large collection of printed Pashto books, rare texts and manuscripts, media, tapes, and photographs of prominent scholars and poets. The academy also maintains a museum and art gallery, inaugurated in 2009, depicting Pashtun cultural heritage. A research cell has been set up at the academy by the Government of Pakistan which conducts studies on the life and works of Khushal Khan Khattak, regarded as one of the most notable classical Pashtun poets.
Past and present directors of the Pashto Academy:
- Maulana Abdul Qadir
- Mian Syed Rasool Rasa
- Syed Azeem Shah Khyal Bokhari
- Mohammad Nawaz Tahir
- Raj Wali Shah Khattak
- Salma Shaheen
- Dr. Nasrullah Jan Wazir (Current Director)
- "Centre of Pashto Language and Literature". University of Peshawar. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Pollock, Sheldon Ivan (2003). Literary Culture in History: Reconstructions from South Asia. University of California Press. p. 7. ISBN 978-0520228214.
- Sebeok, Thomas Albert (1976). Current Trends in Linguistics: Index. Walter de Gruyter. p. 705.
- Brown, Michael Edward; Ganguly, Sumit (2003). Fighting Words: Language Policy and Ethnic Relations in Asia. MIT Press. p. 71. ISBN 978-0262523332.
- "Pashtoon Heritage Museum - Pashto Academy". Pashto Academy. Archived from the original on 15 November 2012. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "Director". Pashto Academy. Retrieved 13 November 2012.