|Look up particle in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
A particle in the physical sciences is a small localized object to which can be ascribed physical properties.
Particle may also refer to:
- Particle (ecology), in marine and freshwater ecology, a small object
- Colloidal particle, part of a one-phase system of two or more components where the particles aren't individually visible
- Particle, the solid or liquid particles in an aerosol
- Granular material
- Particulates, in the areas of atmospheric physics and air pollution
- Nanoparticle, an object between 1 and 100 nanometers that behaves as a whole unit
- Point particle, or point mass, an idealization of an object with finite mass but of zero size
- A particle of a medium in continuum mechanics, meaning an infinitesimal portion of it.
- Self-propelled particles, a concept used in statistical physics to model swarms
- Subatomic particle:
- Suspended solids, in a liquid
Arts, entertainment, and mediaEdit
- Grammatical particle, a function word