Parti Québécois leadership elections
This page lists the results of leadership elections held by the Parti Québécois. From its formation in 1968 and until 2005 the party president served as party leader. Elections are by one member, one vote.
1968 leadership electionEdit
(Held on October 14, 1968)
- René Lévesque acclaimed
Levesque resigned as party president on June 20, 1985. Nadia Assimopoulos becomes interim president. Levesque however is usually regarded as remaining PQ leader during this period.
1985 leadership electionEdit
(Held September 29, 1985)
*: Data calculated from the available results without asterisks.
Bernard Landry withdrew before voting.
Johnson resigned on November 10, 1987. Nadia Assimopoulos onces again becomes interim president and Guy Chevrette becomes interim parliamentary leader. Chevrette is usually regarded as the interim leader during this period.
1988 leadership electionEdit
(Held on March 18, 1988)
- Jacques Parizeau acclaimed
1996 leadership electionEdit
(Held on January 27, 1996)
- Lucien Bouchard acclaimed
2001 leadership electionEdit
(Held on March 2, 2001)
- Bernard Landry acclaimed
Bernard Landry resigned on June 6, 2005. Louise Harel was chosen interim parliamentary leader.
2005 leadership electionEdit
(Held on November 15, 2005)
|Gilbert Paquette||n/a *||n/a *|
- Eligible voters: 137,238
- Turnout: 76.69%
Boisclair resigned on May 8, 2007. François Gendron was chosen interim leader.
2007 leadership electionEdit
(Held on June 27, 2007)
- Pauline Marois acclaimed
Gilles Duceppe was a candidate but withdrew after 24 hours.
2015 leadership electionEdit
(Held May 13–15, 2015)
2016 leadership electionEdit
(Held October 7, 2016)
- Jean-François Lisée: 25,936 (47.03%)
- Alexandre Cloutier: 16,357 (29.66%)
- Martine Ouellet: 9,077 (16.46%)
- Paul St-Pierre Plamondon: 3,772 (6.84%)
- Jean-François Lisée: 27,801 (50.63%)
- Alexandre Cloutier: 17,403 (31.70%)
- Martine Ouellet: 9,702 (17.67%)
- Total votes: 55,142
- Turnout: 75.09 per cent
2020 leadership electionEdit
Announced for 2020, date TBD
- Robinson, Jennifer (September 30, 1985). "PQ vote: It's Johnson in landslide as party leader and next premier". Montreal Gazette. p. 1.
- "Don Macpherson: The failure of the Parti Québécois leadership campaign". The Gazette. May 16, 2015. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "PQ: deux fois moins de membres pour élire un chef". Le Soleil. 12 May 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.