Pargat Singh (born 5 March 1965) is a hockey player turned politician in India and belongs to the Indian National Congress in Punjab. He is a former Indian hockey player and his playing position was of full back. He was considered as one of the world's best defenders erstwhile. He captained Indian men's hockey team at 1992 Barcelona Olympics and 1996 Atlanta Olympics. He was working as an SP with Punjab police before taking a plunge into politics.
|Member of the Punjab Legislative Assembly|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Jagbir Singh Brar|
|Born||5 March 1965|
Mithapur, Jalandhar, Punjab, India
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
India vs Germany: At one point of time score board was ticking 1-5. Then this young guy, Pargat Singh came forward and performed against everyone's hope and scored 4 goals in the last 6 minutes. The result was a draw but it made Pargat Singh a real hero in the hearts of every Indian.
He didn't stop there with his previous year's spectacular performance against Germany and repeated the same action against Holland to give India a 3-2 victory.
Singh was one of the 42 INC MLAs who submitted their resignation in protest of a decision of the Supreme Court of India ruling Punjab's termination of the Sutlej-Yamuna Link (SYL) water canal unconstitutional.
He is General Secretary of Hockey Punjab at present as nominated by CM of the state.
- "Pargat Singh – ESPNSTAR.com".
- "Pargat Singh". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "Pargat Singh suspended by SAD". ndtv.com.
- "Navjot Singh Sidhu forms Aawaaz-e-Punjab". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "Sports Personalities". Archived from the original on 23 October 2014. Retrieved 15 October 2010.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015.