Panda pornography (or panda porn) refers generally to movies depicting mating pandas, intended to promote sexual arousal in captive giant pandas. Under zoo conditions, the animals have, in general, proven unenthusiastic about mating, placing their species in danger of extinction.
The method was popularized following reports of an experiment performed by zoologists in Thailand, in which they showed several captive giant pandas at Chiang Mai Zoo a number of videos showing other giant pandas having sex. Though the researchers behind the project state that they believe there have been successful mating due to usage of sex videos for animals, such success so far has not been achieved outside of China, where 31 cubs were born over a ten-month period following commencement of the experiment. Other methods, including the use of Viagra to sexually stimulate pandas, have thus far been unsuccessful.
- Gray, Denis (November 23, 2006). "Pandas Getting New View of Mating Ritual". The Washington Post. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- Prapanya, Narunart (January 25, 2006). "'Panda porn' to encourage mating". CNN. Retrieved August 17, 2007.
- Handwerk, Brian (November 13, 2006). "Panda "Porn" to Boost Mating Efforts at Thai Zoo". National Geographic News. Archived from the original on October 7, 2017. Retrieved August 7, 2007.
- "Panda porn pays off". Ananova. Archived from the original on December 1, 2006. Retrieved August 17, 2007.
- "Pandas unexcited by Viagra". BBC News. September 9, 2002. Retrieved August 7, 2007.