Panama at the 2008 Summer Olympics
Panama competed in the 2008 Summer Olympics which was held in Beijing, People's Republic of China from August 8 to August 24, 2008. Yesika Jimenez was the delegation's flagbearer at the Opening Ceremony.
|Panama at the|
2008 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Comité Olímpico de Panamá|
|Competitors||5 in 3 sports|
|Flag bearer||Jesika Jiménez|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Panama's participation was initially uncertain. The country was suspended by the International Olympic Committee in July 2007, due to what was described as government interference in Panama's National Olympic Committee. The suspension was lifted in April 2008, enabling the country's athletes to compete for qualification at the Beijing Games.
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
- Track & road events
|Bayano Kamani||400 m hurdles||49.05||4 q||50.48||8||Did not advance|
- Field events
|Irving Saladino||Long jump||8.01||9 q||8.34|
Jesika Jiménez represented Panama.
|Athlete||Event||Round of 32||Round of 16||Quarterfinal||Semifinal||Final / BM|
|Jesika Jiménez||Individual épée|| Shemyakina (UKR)
| Duplitzer (GER)
|Did not advance|
|Edgar Crespo||100 m breaststroke||1:03.72||53||Did not advance|
|Christie Bodden||100 m backstroke||1:07.18||47||Did not advance|
- "Flag-bearers for Beijing Olympic Games opening ceremony_English_Xinhua". Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- "IOC Lifts Olympic Ban on Panama". Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- "Saladino wins Panama's first medal". Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- "Fencing athlete Jimenez earns Panama's 3rd Beijing-2008 pass". Archived from the original on 2008-08-16. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
|This article about sports in Panama is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 2008 Olympics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|