Pampered Chef is a multinational multi-level marketing company that offers a line of kitchen tools, food products, and cookbooks for preparing food in the home. They also offer some products to help transport some of their products and gardening tools.
|Industry||Kitchen and Food products|
|Founded||1980River Forest, IL|
|United States, Canada, Germany, Austria, France|
|Andrew Treanor (CEO)|
(Chairman & Founder)
It has a worldwide direct sales force of about 35,000 in addition to 400 corporate staff. The company is headquartered in Addison, Illinois, and operates in five countries: the United States, Germany, Canada, Austria, and France.
Doris Christopher founded Pampered Chef in 1980 in the basement of her suburban Chicago home. Christopher came up with a party plan to offer professional-quality kitchen tools directly to consumers through in-home cooking demonstrations, a concept first popularized by Tupperware. The company expanded to Canada in 1996, the UK in 1999, Germany in 2000, Austria in 2019, and France in 2020.
The company was acquired in 2002 by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway corporation. On October 30, 2014, Berkshire Hathaway appointed long time advisor Tracy Britt Cool to the position of CEO. According to Direct Selling News, "the company’s revenue has fallen from $320 million in 2015 to $280 million in 2018." In March 2020, the company's COO, Andrew Treanor, took over on the role of CEO.
The company closed its UK business, and wound down UK operations as of December 31, 2015.
- Gregory Karp, "The fine line between legitimate businesses and pyramid schemes" Archived 2013-02-11 at the Wayback Machine, Chicago Tribune, 10 February 2013
- "Pampered Chef Company Facts". Pampered Chef. Archived from the original on 2016-04-08. Retrieved 2016-03-26.
- "Pampered Chef Enters Austria Market". Pampered Chef. 2019-09-23.
- Chen, I-chun. "Pampered Chef brings its kitchenware to France". Chicago Business Journal.
- "Berkshire Hathaway to acquire The Pampered Chef". Berkshire Hathaway. Archived from the original on 2002-10-14. Retrieved 2002-09-23.
- Noah Buhayar, "Buffett’s Assistant Cool Named CEO of Pampered Chef Unit" Archived 2015-01-10 at the Wayback Machine, Bloomberg, 30 October 2014
- Kosman, Josh (2019-09-19). "Buffett protégé Tracy Britt Cool leaving Berkshire Hathaway". New York Post. Retrieved 2020-04-03.
- "Tracy Britt Cool to Leave Berkshire Hathaway, Pampered Chef To Start New Venture". 2019-09-19.
- "Pampered Chef winding down UK operations". PamperedChef. Archived from the original on 2015-09-20. Retrieved 2015-09-11.