This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Los Angeles, California
Born in Los Angeles, California, she received her BA from Brown University and MFA from UCLA Film School. After graduation she worked in feature productions and television documentaries as a Walt Disney/ ABC Entertainment Writing Fellow. After she left Disney she became the Director of Diversity and directed the diversity talent program, Project: Involve at Film Independent. Tom is currently working at Brushstrokes Film with a documentary on Tyrus Wong.
"I think it is harder for a woman-of-color filmmaker to get a directing job than a white woman... (Studios and production companies) just don't think of women of color for these jobs."
School and CareerEdit
- BA, Development Studies, 1978 – 1981
University of Ile-Ife, Ile-Ife, Nigeria, visiting student, 1980-1981
University of California, Los Angeles
- MFA, Dept. of Theater, Film and Television, 1985 – 1990
New Moon Pictures
- Director/Producer, August 2015 – present. Tom made a documentary feature film about the pioneering Chinese American painter and Hollywood sketch artist, Tyrus Wong.
- Post Production Producer, January 2009 – March 2009. Tom directed the narration and supervised the sound editing and mix on the BBC/KCET three-part series "World War II Behind Closed Doors: Stalin, the Nazis and the West."
Wild About Harry (aka American Primitive)
- Executive Producer, 2008 – 2009. Tom executive produced Gwen Wynne's debut feature film about two teenage girls trying to fit into their new high school when they discover their dad is gay. Starring Danielle Savre, Adam Pascal, Tate Donovan, Josh Peck, Anne Ramsey, James Sikking, Susan Anspach.
- Producer, August 2007 – December 2007. Freelance producer and Development Executive. Served as station producer on the national prime-time series WIRED Science. Helped develop several local, national, and international projects.
- Director of Diversity August 1998 – July 2007. Oversaw Project: Involve, the diversity film mentoring, educational, screening, and job placement program. Oversaw organization's diversity initiatives and goals and served as a spokesperson.
Los Angeles Film Festival & Independent Spirit Awards
- Director of Diversity, 1998 – 2007
- TYRUS (2015)
- (producer) (writer) (director)
- American Primitive (2009)
- (executive producer)
- The Story of Mothers & Daughters (1997)
- (associate producer)
- World War Two: Behind Closed Doors (2008)
- (post-production producer - 1 episode)
- - Unlikely Friends
- WIRED Science (2007)
- (producer: 1 episode)
- - Face Reader
- Becoming the Buddha in L.A. (1993)
- (field producer)
- Two Lies (1990)
- (writer) (producer) (director)
"Pamela Tom". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved April 29, 2013.
Zahed, Ramin (November 18, 2012). "Tyrus Wong Documentary Launches on Kickstarter". Animation Magazine. Jean Thoren. Retrieved April 29, 2013.
McArthur, Meher (January 8, 2013). "Chinese Brushstrokes in Hollywood: The Works of Tyrus Wong". KCET. Retrieved April 29, 2013.
"Pam Tom". Women Make Movies. Retrieved 29 April 2013.