Palu (Zazaki: Pali,Kurdish: Palo, Armenian: Բալու/Palou; formerly Romanopolis in Greek) is a town and district of Elazığ Province of Turkey. The current mayor is Efrayim Ünalan (AKP). It has a population of 8,652. The town historically had a significant Armenian population, which was exterminated during the genocide of 1915. Notable residents include Katherine Magarian (1906–2001), a genocide survivor born in Baghin, Palou.
|• Mayor||Efrayim Ünalan (AKP)|
|• Kaymakam||Mustafa Demir|
|• District||837.10 km2 (323.21 sq mi)|
|• District density||24/km2 (63/sq mi)|
Palu was the site of an Akkoyunlu fortress in the late 15th century, which was captured by Hüseyin Bey, a Mirdâsîd lord from the Principality of Eğil. He established the Emirate of Palu, which existed from 1495 to 1845. After 1517, the Emirate was part of the Ottoman Empire.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Palu, Elazığ.|
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- adem Avcıkıran (2009). Kürtçe Anamnez Anamneza bi Kurmancî (PDF) (in Turkish and Kurdish). p. 56. Retrieved 17 December 2019.
- Şafak, Yeni (2019-06-11). "Elazığ Palu Seçim Sonuçları – Palu Yerel Seçim Sonuçları". Yeni Şafak (in Turkish). Retrieved 2019-11-06.
- Üngör, Uğur Ümit (2012). The Making of Modern Turkey: Nation and State in Eastern Anatolia, 1913-1950. Oxford University Press. p. 81. ISBN 9780199655229.
- "Armenian Genocide: Katherine Magarian's Story". cilicia.com.
- Serdar Karabulut, eyeyh Ali Sebiti al-Palevi, Gold Pen Publications, mitzmit, 2014, p.33
- The Kurds: An Encyclopedia of Life, Culture, and Society 
- PALU GOVERNMENT WITHIN THE OTTOMAN ADMINISTRATIVE SYSTEM 
- 18 Şerefhan, a.g.e., C. II/I, s.32
|This article about an Eastern Anatolia Region of Turkey location is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|