Palau at the 2016 Summer Olympics
|Palau at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Palau National Olympic Committee|
|in Rio de Janeiro|
|Competitors||5 in 4 sports|
|Flag bearer||Florian Skilang Temengil|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
Five athletes, three men and two women, were selected to the Palauan team at the Games, competing only in athletics, swimming, freestyle wrestling, and flatwater canoeing (the country's Olympic debut in Rio de Janeiro). Two of Palau's Olympians returned: sprinter Rodman Teltull (men's 100 metres), and freestyle wrestler Florian Skilang Temengil (men's 125 kg), who reprised his role of leading the Palauan delegation as the nation's flag bearer for the second time in the opening ceremony, since he did so eight years earlier in Beijing. Palau, however, has yet to win its first ever Olympic medal.
Athletics (track & field)Edit
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
|Rodman Teltull||Men's 100 m||10.53||1 Q||10.64||8||Did not advance|
Palau has received an invitation from the Tripartite Commission to send a boat in the women's K-1 500 m to the Olympics, signifying the nation's debut in the sport.
|Marina Toribiong||Women's K-1 200 m||48.913||6 Q||48.306||8||Did not advance|
|Women's K-1 500 m||2:14.807||7||Did not advance|
Qualification Legend: FA = Qualify to final (medal); FB = Qualify to final B (non-medal)
|Shawn Dingilius-Wallace||Men's 50 m freestyle||26.78||72||Did not advance|
|Dirngulbai Misech||Women's 50 m freestyle||29.19||65||Did not advance|
Palau has received an invitation from the Tripartite Commission to send a wrestler competing in the men's freestyle 125 kg to the Olympics, signifying the nation's comeback to the sport after an eight-year hiatus.
- VT – Victory by fall.
- PP – Decision by points – the loser with technical points.
- PO – Decision by points – the loser without technical points.
- Men's freestyle
|Athlete||Event||Qualification||Round of 16||Quarterfinal||Semifinal||Repechage 1||Repechage 2||Final / BM|
|Florian Skilang Temengil||−125 kg||Bye|| Ligeti (HUN)
L 0–4 ST
|Did not advance||19|
- "The Flagbearers for the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony". International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Sablan, Jerick (29 July 2016). "Palau, Marshalls each send 5 athletes to Rio". Pacific Daily News. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "iaaf.org – Top Lists". IAAF. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- "IAAF Games of the XXX Olympiad – Rio 2016 Entry Standards" (PDF). IAAF. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- "Team Palau to RIO 2016 Announced at the President Office, ROP". Palau National Olympic Committee. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- "Olympic Canoe Sprint Qualification spots confirmed". International Canoe Federation. 6 September 2015. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- "Swimming World Rankings". FINA. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- "Rio 2016 – FINA Swimming Qualification System" (PDF). Rio 2016. FINA. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Wrestling for Rio 2016". United World Wrestling. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "Four Universality Places for Wrestling Awarded by IOC". United World Wrestling. 24 May 2016. Archived from the original on 16 September 2016. Retrieved 24 May 2016.