Pac-12 Conference Men's Basketball Freshman of the Year
The Pac-12 Freshman of the Year is an annual award in the Pac-12 Conference presented to its top freshman player in men's basketball. The winner is chosen by the Pac-12 coaches. The honor began in 1978–79, when it was known as the Rookie of the Year and players in their first year in the conference, including transfers, were eligible. Junior guard Bryan Rison of Washington State was the first honoree and the only non-freshman to ever win. The candidates were limited to freshman starting in 1983–84, when the award was renamed to Freshman of the Year. The conference was known as the Pacific-10 before becoming the Pac-12 in 2011. Three winners were also named the conference's player of the year in the same year: Shareef Abdur-Rahim (California, 1996), Kevin Love (UCLA, 2008), and Deandre Ayton (Arizona, 2018).
|Pac-12 Men's Basketball Freshman of the Year|
|Awarded for||The most outstanding freshman male basketball player in the Pac-12|
|Currently held by||Luguentz Dort, Arizona State|
|1978–79||Bryan Rison||Washington State||Guard|||
|1979–80||Byron Scott||Arizona State||Guard|
|1986–87||Gary Payton||Oregon State||Guard|
|1990–91||Jamal Faulkner||Arizona State||Forward|
|2002–03||Ike Diogu||Arizona State||Forward|
|2005–06||Luc Richard Mbah a Moute||UCLA||Forward|
|Jahii Carson||Arizona State||Guard|
|2018–19||Luguentz Dort||Arizona State||Guard|
Winners by schoolEdit
|Arizona||9||1986, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2007, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2018|
|UCLA||9||1986, 1989, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2013, 2017|
|California||8||1983, 1985, 1993, 1995, 1996, 2004, 2011, 2016|
|Arizona State||5||1980, 1991, 2003, 2013, 2019|
|Washington||5||1984, 1988, 1992, 2009, 2012|
|Stanford||4||1981, 1982, 1994, 2000|
- "2015–16 Pac-12 Men's Basketball Media Guide". Pac-12 Conference. p. 139. Retrieved January 30, 2016.
- "Pac-12 Conference 2011–12 Men's Basketball Media Guide". Pac-12 Conference. 2011. p. 5. Retrieved February 9, 2012.
- Bolch, Ben (March 5, 2018). "Arizona's Deandre Ayton is Pac-12 Conference's player, freshman of the year". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on March 7, 2018.
- Letourneau, Connor (March 7, 2016). "Cal's Jaylen Brown named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on June 8, 2016.
- Bolch, Ben (March 6, 2017). "UCLA's Lonzo Ball is Pac-12 freshman of the year and one of three Bruins on first team". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on March 7, 2017.
- "Pac-12 announces 2018-19 Men's Basketball annual major awards" (Press release). Pac-12 Conference. March 11, 2019. Retrieved March 11, 2019.