P. A. Backer
P. A. Backer
|Died||22 November 1993 (aged 53)|
|Occupation||Film director, film producer|
|Awards||National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Malayalam|
National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Malayalam
Nargis Dutt Award for Best Feature Film on National Integration
Sree Narayana Guru
Backer was born in 1940 to Ahamed Musliar and Fathima of Kanippayyoor near Kunnamkulam in Trichur, Kingdom of Cochin (now part of Kerala state, India). While still a student, Backer worked as a journalist for Kuttikal and Poomottukal. He then worked as an assistant to director Ramu Kariat (1960). He made his debut as a producer in 1970 with Olavum Theeravum which won the state awards for the best film and best cinematography.
He turned director in 1975 with Kabani Nadi Chuvannappol which won for him the State award for best director. Kabani Nadi Chuvannappol (When the River Kabani Turned Red), a bold movie about a leftist political activist, was released during the Indian Emergency. Some other notable movies by Backer are Manimuzhakkam (Peal of Bells), Chuvanna Vithukal (Red Seeds/Seeds of revolution), Sree Narayana Guru and Sanghaganam (Chorus). Manimuzhakkam, based on the novel Murippadukal by Sarah Thomas, won the National Film Award for Best Regional Film and the Kerala State Film Award for Best Film. Sree Narayana Guru won the Nargis Dutt Award for Best Feature Film on National Integration. His last film as a director was Innaleyude Baaki (The Balance of Yesterday; 1988).
Backer directed the following films:
- Innalayude Baaki (1988)
- Sree Narayana Guru (1985)
- Premalekhanam (1985) - based on the novel Premalekhanam by Vaikom Muhammad Basheer
- Charam (1983)
- Chappa (1982)
- Unarthupattu (1980)
- Manninte Maril (1979)
- Sanghaganam (1979)
- Chuvanna Vithukal (1978)
- Mani Muzhakkam (1976) - based on the novel Murippadukal by Sarah Thomas
- Kabani Nadi Chuvannappol (1976)
Kerala State Film AwardsEdit
- 1970 - Kerala State Film Award for Best Film for Olavum Theeravum
- 1976 - Kerala State Film Award for Best Film for Manimuzhakkam
- 1975 - Kerala State Film Award for Second Best Film for Kabani Nadi Chuvannappol
- 1977 - Kerala State Film Award for Second Best Film for Chuvanna Vithukal
- 1975 - Kerala State Film Award for Best Director for Kabani Nadi Chuvannappol
- 1976 - Kerala State Film Award for Best Screenplay for Manimuzhakkam
National Film AwardsEdit
- Ashish Rajadhyaksha; Paul Willemen (1999). Encyclopaedia of Indian cinema. British Film Institute. ISBN 0-85170-455-7.
- Sanjit Narwekar (1994). Directory of Indian film-makers and films. Flicks Books. ISBN 978-0-313-29284-2.
- National Film Development Corporation of India, India. Directorate of Film Festivals, India. Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. Publications Division (1978). Indian cinema. Directorate of Film Festivals, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- J.Ajith Kumar (14 September 2004). "Writing for all of humanity ". The Hindu. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Obituary" (PDF). Deccan Herald. cscsarchive.org. 23 November 1993. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 July 2011. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "Profile of Malayalam Director PA Bakker". malayalasangeetham.info. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
|This article about an Indian film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|